Development Services Manager – Miami County Community Improvement Corporation
Organization: Miami County Community Improvement Corporation
Position: Development Services Manager
Supervisor: CIC Executive Director
This position indicates, in general, the nature and levels of work, knowledge, skills, abilities, and other essential functions (as covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act) expected of the incumbent. This position description supplies the general requirements of this position and in no matter should it be implied that the above are the only duties or responsibilities performed by the position incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may be asked to perform other duties as required and/or assigned.
Under the direction of the Executive Director of the Miami County Community Improvement Corporation, the Development Services Manager shall manage the daily coordination of economic development services and administrative functions. This person also oversees business retention & expansion efforts, marketing plan implementation, workforce development efforts, research studies and analyses, business attraction efforts, special local and regional initiatives, and the reporting and tracking of incentive programs. The Development Services Manager shall also provide general administrative support to the CIC Board of Trustees and its various committees.
The Development Services Manager will also lend administrative support to the Department of Development to include policy adherence, management of business functions and communications, public relations duties.
Typical Duties – Community Improvement Corporation
- Assists with implementation of the Miami County Economic Development, Workforce Development, Business Development and other related Strategies.
- Leads the CIC’s marketing strategy, which includes the development and maintenance of the economic development-related web sites, social media accounts, and print materials that promote business growth and development. Promotes the web site to clients, the community, and the region. Works with various partners to recognize special accomplishments of businesses and communities.
- Oversees and manages the Enterprise Zone Program, Community Reinvestment Area, job training assistance, JobsOhio and State of Ohio Development Services Agency incentive packages and provides annual reports to DSA and other entities as required.
- Collaborates with downtown organizations, development councils, chambers of commerce, and other related entities to assist with achievement of shared goals and objectives. Assists with the creation and implementation of revitalization strategies including annual budgets, work plans, and various other studies and analyses as requested by the organizations. Assists with the marketing of the downtowns and other local community initiatives, maintains a listing of available properties, conducts a retention and expansion program, and ensures the overall revitalization of the communities within Miami County.
- Responsible for various economic studies (wages, benefits, workforce, utilities, public services, taxes, etc.) that may be required by existing and potential business/industry and development projects. Performs assigned policy and planning feasibility studies, program effectiveness analyses, and cost-benefit analyses on economic development initiatives. Devises or adapts methods and establishes performance measures for conducting research and campaigns to market the County as a preferred location to create jobs and invest into improvements for business expansion or location.
- Maintains extensive files of information of interest to new and existing businesses, market statistics, zoning regulations, business trends, and demographic information. Prepares and provides marketing packages to businesses considering moving into or expanding within Miami County.
- Assists with the management and operation of the Miami County Human Resources Council, Infrastructure Committee, Miami County Trails and Greenways Working Group, educational committees, committees that support workforce development, and committees that support countywide economic development activities.
- Assists with the management and operation of the Miami County Business Incubator and the Miami County Small Business Program by developing work plans, annual budgets, programs and events, marketing initiatives, and tenant selections. Organizes and maintains an Incubator Advisory Committee and integrates efforts with other small business and entrepreneurial initiatives.
- Assists with business attraction, retention, and expansion efforts.
- Follows-up on contacts, leads, notifications, prospects, etc. to facilitate assistance to existing and potential business/industry.
- Assists with the maintenance of a database of properties available for commercial and industrial development and the various attributes of the properties.
- Assists with the development and implementation of comprehensive plans and land use plans for the County and various jurisdictions, taking the lead with economic development recommendations.
- Researches, identifies, and applies for economic development grants and loans and monitors approved grants.
- Represents the CIC as assigned at meetings with federal, state and local government agencies, business groups, advisory committees, planning and economic development associations, and the public.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with administrative employees and elected officials of the County and various jurisdictions to promote economic development.
- Attends CIC functions and outside related meetings as the formal representative as assigned for the CIC.
- Assists the Executive Director in developing budgets and financial plans.
- Maintains minutes, records, and other board materials and documents as required for the CIC.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Typical Duties – Department of Development
- Assists with implementation of the Miami County Economic Development, Workforce Development, and other related strategies.
- Maintains an organized filing system of paper and electronic documents, including compliance with records retention schedules.
- Prepares and monitors budgets, acts as a backup for payroll, processes bills for payment, and purchases supplies and equipment against purchase orders.
- Coordinates the Director’s communications, including taking calls, monitoring and responding to emails, and tracking incoming documents.
- Researches and analyzes materials, makes recommendations and assists in developing new policies/procedures/programs.
Required Position Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Marketing, Economics, Finance, Economic Development, Public Administration, or other relevant field and considerable relevant experience, or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience required.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of economic development, redevelopment, and downtown revitalization principles and practices, including administration and management.
- Comprehensive knowledge of business and economic development financing.
- Considerable knowledge of various marketing techniques, including social media.
- Familiarity of state and local economic development incentives.
- Ability to perform cost/benefit analyses and to conduct various studies.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the business community, government officials, and community organizations.
- Ability to work under pressure and execute projects to deliver measurable results.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, orally and in writing, to prepare and present reports to elected leaders, businesses, and members of the public.
- Proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office programs such as Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook, etc., and photo editing programs.
- Excellent editing skills to transform notes and information into formal documents.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment in the performance of essential functions (i.e. copier, fax, personal computer).
- Ability to occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 20 lbs.
Preferred Position Qualifications
- IEDC Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) certification.
- Previous experience working for a Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development office, or Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Other Position Characteristics
- Residency within Miami County is strongly encouraged within six (6) months of hire date.
- Salaried position requiring additional hours as needed.
- State of Ohio Driver’s License and ability to drive is a requirement.
Posting live through June 4, 2021.
Compensation Range: $65,000 – $85,000
Candidates may apply on our Careers site: https://www.miamicountyohio.gov/333/Job-Opportunities
Ohio’s Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) program is the major state program that enables collaboration among municipalities and townships to encourage investment and job creation. Over the past few years, the JEDD program has undergone a number of significant changes that impact on its practical use.read more
I first met Dan in the fall of 2016. I had moved to Central Ohio over the late holiday season in 2015 to begin serving as the new Director of GROW Licking County CIC, Dan’s former role. I was immediately struck by many in the community who worried that I would “not be enough,” that the “shoes were too big,” and that “Dan was larger than life.” And they were right.read more
The Ohio Economic Development Association’s annual Excellence Awards program recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations in Ohio in the areas of economic and workforce development. Submit your nominations today and have excellence in your community recognized statewide!
A panel of judges will evaluate the nominations, determine finalists, and select a winner for each of the categories noted below. Award winners will be announced in conjunction with the 2022 OEDA Annual Summit, being held October 3-6 at the Exchange at Bridge Park in Dublin, Ohio.read more