Director, Business Development & Growth – Wayne Economic Development Council (WEDC)
Join Our Team and Make an Impact on Wayne County!
The Wayne Economic Development Council (WEDC) is a public-private partnership dedicated to economic development and strategic business and job growth in Wayne County and Northeast Ohio.
General Purpose – WEDC’s business development and growth efforts are an economic development strategy that proactively connects with existing businesses to understand and respond to the needs of the business community. WEDC recognizes the contributions of existing businesses to the local economy, encourages and supports expansion for sustainable job growth, provides assistance to businesses to address challenges, and makes vital connections to local and state resources for successful results.
Primary Responsibilities – Be a valued resource serving the business community to develop, foster, and direct strategic business growth and development within Wayne County by seeking opportunities to retain, expand, attract and create new quality jobs and ensure a strong workforce pipeline.
Reporting – The Director, Business Development & Growth reports to the WEDC President
- Establishing relationships with the business and agricultural community throughout Wayne County to foster strategic growth and development by identifying growth opportunities and working with local, state, and federal agencies to facilitate retention and expansion.
- Development and oversight of the WEDC “BizConnects” program, including identifying and coordinating targeted business visits, identifying business assistance needs, providing scope of services needed, and tracking visits, business trends, and services provided.
- Build partnerships among public and private organizations to facilitate and coordinate the delivery of quality services and/or assistance to businesses.
- Monitor, track, analyze, and report on relevant economic statistical data and fiscal impact analysis.
- Lead/support efforts to identify critical and specific workforce needs and foster alignment with identified educational strategies, curriculum, training needs, programs, and lifelong learning opportunities.
- Identify and assess “best practices” regionally and nationally to ensure Wayne County’s workforce pipeline is a competitive advantage.
- Execute and sustain effective partnerships between business, education, labor, economic development, and workforce organizations to sustain awareness that includes public and media relations, website content, and appropriate/effective marketing to connect employers, education/training services with prospective employees.
- Support the work of the Board of Directors, Advisory Council, and other internal/external committees as assigned.
- Represent the WEDC at select external events as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications – Graduate of an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum of five years of experience in economic development, business management, operations, community development, or public relations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities –
- Experience and knowledge of opportunities and challenges with business development and manufacturing.
- Knowledge of economic development programs, grants, loans, and services available at the state and local level.
- Experience representing organizations in a professional manner and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to create, develop, execute and manage projects and programs effectively in a fast-paced, results-oriented organizational culture with high expectation levels, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Ability to collaborate, work effectively, and network within a variety of groups, teams, and public/private organizations.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to track, analyze, and report on key statistical data and metrics.
- Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation development, and database management.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate periodic after hours and weekend requirements, as needed.
- Commitment and passion for economic development and strategic business growth of Wayne County.
Please submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by end of business day on January 28, 2022 or mail to 542 East Liberty St. Wooster, OH 44691.
Ohio’s Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) program is the major state program that enables collaboration among municipalities and townships to encourage investment and job creation. Over the past few years, the JEDD program has undergone a number of significant changes that impact on its practical use.read more
I first met Dan in the fall of 2016. I had moved to Central Ohio over the late holiday season in 2015 to begin serving as the new Director of GROW Licking County CIC, Dan’s former role. I was immediately struck by many in the community who worried that I would “not be enough,” that the “shoes were too big,” and that “Dan was larger than life.” And they were right.read more
The Ohio Economic Development Association’s annual Excellence Awards program recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations in Ohio in the areas of economic and workforce development. Submit your nominations today and have excellence in your community recognized statewide!
A panel of judges will evaluate the nominations, determine finalists, and select a winner for each of the categories noted below. Award winners will be announced in conjunction with the 2022 OEDA Annual Summit, being held October 3-6 at the Exchange at Bridge Park in Dublin, Ohio.read more