Director, Business Development & Growth – Wayne Economic Development Council (WEDC)
Join Our Team and Make an Impact on Wayne County!
The Wayne Economic Development Council (WEDC) is a public-private partnership dedicated to economic development and strategic business and job growth in Wayne County and Northeast Ohio.
General Purpose – WEDC’s business development and growth efforts are an economic development strategy that proactively connects with existing businesses to understand and respond to the needs of the business community. WEDC recognizes the contributions of existing businesses to the local economy, encourages and supports expansion for sustainable job growth, provides assistance to businesses to address challenges, and makes vital connections to local and state resources for successful results.
Primary Responsibilities – Be a valued resource serving the business community to develop, foster, and direct strategic business growth and development within Wayne County by seeking opportunities to retain, expand, attract and create new quality jobs and ensure a strong workforce pipeline.
Reporting – The Director, Business Development & Growth reports to the WEDC President
- Establishing relationships with the business and agricultural community throughout Wayne County to foster strategic growth and development by identifying growth opportunities and working with local, state, and federal agencies to facilitate retention and expansion.
- Development and oversight of the WEDC “BizConnects” program, including identifying and coordinating targeted business visits, identifying business assistance needs, providing scope of services needed, and tracking visits, business trends, and services provided.
- Build partnerships among public and private organizations to facilitate and coordinate the delivery of quality services and/or assistance to businesses.
- Monitor, track, analyze, and report on relevant economic statistical data and fiscal impact analysis.
- Lead/support efforts to identify critical and specific workforce needs and foster alignment with identified educational strategies, curriculum, training needs, programs, and lifelong learning opportunities.
- Identify and assess “best practices” regionally and nationally to ensure Wayne County’s workforce pipeline is a competitive advantage.
- Execute and sustain effective partnerships between business, education, labor, economic development, and workforce organizations to sustain awareness that includes public and media relations, website content, and appropriate/effective marketing to connect employers, education/training services with prospective employees.
- Support the work of the Board of Directors, Advisory Council, and other internal/external committees as assigned.
- Represent the WEDC at select external events as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications – Graduate of an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum of five years of experience in economic development, business management, operations, community development, or public relations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities –
- Experience and knowledge of opportunities and challenges with business development and manufacturing.
- Knowledge of economic development programs, grants, loans, and services available at the state and local level.
- Experience representing organizations in a professional manner and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to create, develop, execute and manage projects and programs effectively in a fast-paced, results-oriented organizational culture with high expectation levels, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Ability to collaborate, work effectively, and network within a variety of groups, teams, and public/private organizations.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to track, analyze, and report on key statistical data and metrics.
- Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation development, and database management.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate periodic after hours and weekend requirements, as needed.
- Commitment and passion for economic development and strategic business growth of Wayne County.
Please submit letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by end of business day on January 28, 2022 or mail to 542 East Liberty St. Wooster, OH 44691.
About three months ago, we launched our Recovery Within Reach campaign, a first-of-its-kind effort to educate Ohioans about the financial effects of opioid addiction — and to connect them with treatment options close to their homes.
Our goal is to create a new way of talking about addiction, one in which people consider the facts and practical realities of how substance use disorder affects their lives. Not long ago, Gov. Mike DeWine challenged all of us in state government to think of ways we could help Ohioans navigate the opioid crisis that has affected our state for so long. For us, that meant considering the financial effects of addiction — and providing tools and trainings to help Ohioans and financial advisers talk about addiction and access care.read more
Uptown Consortium, Inc. (UCI) received $45 million in New Markets Tax Credits, which it will use to spur development in transformational projects in Uptown Cincinnati.read more
Newark Development Partners (NDP), the community improvement corporation for the City of Newark, continues to further development in the Downtown through various projects. The sale of the Hudson Avenue Church with surrounding property, the renewal of the Downtown Special Improvement District and the commencement of construction at the Historic Arcade are all recent successes for the City of Newark.read more