Director of Economic and Business Development – American Municipal Power – Columbus, Ohio
Position Title: Director of Economic and Business Development
Reports To: Assistant Vice President Energy Policy & Sustainability
FLSA Status: Exempt
Basic Functions: Lead AMP’s economic development program focused on providing benefit to all AMP members. Provide oversight and direction to AMP’s member-focused workforce development efforts.
- Facilitate load growth through business attraction and support for business retention and expansion across AMP membership through management of AMP’s economic development program.
- Provide leadership and support to development of AMP member-focused workforce development efforts.
- Develop member program recommendations and guidance focused on education and retention of experienced employees and recruitment of qualified potential employees. Provide support and assistance to efforts designed to provide members with electric distribution system operational assistance, planning, support and management.
- Serve as AMP’s external facing economic development liaison interfacing with economic development agencies, regional development organizations, site consultants, companies, etc.
- Promote the advantages of public power and represent AMP and AMP members at regional economic development events, roundtables, trade groups and conferences.
- Facilitate lead generation, distribution to members, tracking of responses and eligibility, and follow up communications as necessary. As appropriate, provide assistance and guidance to members responding to leads.
- Support AMPs internal cross-departmental team designed to help address member commercial and industrial inquiries.
- Provide guidance and assistance to members pursuing economic development rates and site readiness, including availability of incentives and grants.
- Utilizing customer relationship software (CRM) to organize, track, and manage all communications with members, companies, site consultants, etc.
- Administer AMP’s economic development website, directory listings and site qualification directories, to most effectively promote AMP members and public power.
- Assess, measure and communicate performance.
- Lead effort to make economic development related training available to members.
- Prepare, monitor, maintain and track economic development program budget and oversee contract management with vendors.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, & Qualifications:
- Five to ten years of experience with electric industry, customer services and/or business relationships preferred.
- Understanding of public power business model and experience with municipal utility services strongly preferred.
- Experience and established ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with multiple organizations, companies and individuals.
- Ability to learn quickly and relate technical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated project management skills and the proven ability to manage multiple concurrent projects.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communications along with strong attention to detail is required.
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to work independently, and as part of a team.
- Proficient in Salesforce and MS Office Suite of products (i.e. Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.) and ability to learn new software quickly.
- A four-year degree in business, marketing, communications or a related field is required. Advanced degrees or certifications preferred.
This position will be open through 9/02/21. All applicants must apply through our website at http://www.amppartners.org/careers.
Ohio’s Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) program is the major state program that enables collaboration among municipalities and townships to encourage investment and job creation. Over the past few years, the JEDD program has undergone a number of significant changes that impact on its practical use.read more
I first met Dan in the fall of 2016. I had moved to Central Ohio over the late holiday season in 2015 to begin serving as the new Director of GROW Licking County CIC, Dan’s former role. I was immediately struck by many in the community who worried that I would “not be enough,” that the “shoes were too big,” and that “Dan was larger than life.” And they were right.read more
The Ohio Economic Development Association’s annual Excellence Awards program recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations in Ohio in the areas of economic and workforce development. Submit your nominations today and have excellence in your community recognized statewide!
A panel of judges will evaluate the nominations, determine finalists, and select a winner for each of the categories noted below. Award winners will be announced in conjunction with the 2022 OEDA Annual Summit, being held October 3-6 at the Exchange at Bridge Park in Dublin, Ohio.read more