Director of Economic Development – City of Gahanna
The City of Gahanna is named one of the ‘Best Hometowns’ by Ohio Magazine, Gahanna offers 750+ acres of parkland, vibrant neighborhoods, opportunities for business growth and more! Only eight miles from downtown Columbus and minutes away from the John Glenn Columbus International Airport, Gahanna is a choice location for business and leisure. With a strong emphasis on community, family and fun, Gahanna offers a wide variety of seasonal and special events. Learn more about Gahanna by visiting: http://www.gahanna.gov/
STARTING SALARY RANGE: The starting salary is between the minimum and midpoint of the range ($100,672.00-$120,806.40/annually). Candidates will start at the minimum of the range unless their skills, experience, education or other factors exceed the qualifications for the position.
Essential Job Functions
Provides overall leadership, direction, guidance and management of the functions, operations, programs, activities and resources required for the comprehensive development, redevelopment, and expansion of the City as it relates to industrial, commercial and residential facilities.
- Provides continued consultation and communication with the Mayor on a regular basis regarding public and private development opportunities for increasing and sustaining the economic vitality of the community.
- Responsible for negotiating the terms of all incentive offers; presents all economic development incentive proposals for Mayoral approval; works to secure the acceptance of the public or private development opportunity incentive proposal.
- Assesses the resources available and needed for retention, redevelopment and new development for residential, commercial and industrial facilities through interface with public and private sectors; develops and implements strategic recommendations.
- Attends and provides updates at Community Improvement Corporation (CIC) meetings and assists with implementing CIC’s goals and strategies.
- Initiates and facilitates meetings with both private and public sector to review and analyze potential development proposals relating to economic development and redevelopment.
- Provides leadership for revitalization including preparing requests for proposals, conducting developers rankings, handling negotiations with developers, and coordinating public input
- Performs various economic development duties, including but not limited to coordinating business retention and expansion efforts, negotiating economic development agreements with other jurisdictions, creating and modifying financial incentive programs and tools (such as community reinvestment areas and tax increment finance districts), acting as housing officer for the city’s tax incentive programs and other agreements as necessary.
- Performs community development duties to include: promoting the city’s development plans, disseminating information to the general public, developing and implementing a marketing plan and regularly attending and speaking at community civic groups and associations.
- Plans and implements short and long-range economic development goals, objectives, and strategies; gathers, interprets and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations.
- Develops the annual budget, including: reviewing budget expenditures and requesting revisions to meet operational needs; reviewing budget requests and making decisions on organizing projects to remain within budget; and consulting with financial staff regarding budget matters.
- Carries out managerial responsibility in accordance with policies, procedures and applicable laws, including: interviewing, hiring and training staff; planning, assigning and directing work; establishing deadlines; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; coordinating, developing and approving staff training; approving leave requests; and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
** Regular, predictable, and punctual attendance is required.
Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in finance, economic development, community development, public policy or related field
- Seven (7) or more years of progressively responsible related experience, including supervisory experience.
Licensure or Certification Requirements
- Economic Development Finance Professional Certification preferred.
- Certified Economic Development Professional preferred.
- Current and valid Ohio driver’s license with an acceptable driver’s abstract in order to meet criteria for insurability established by the City of Gahanna.
Important Job Functions
- Attends regular meetings of the Mayor’s executive staff contributing in decision-making, problem-solving and team building. Required to attend council meetings and submit Director’s Report to council as required.
- Represents the Mayor at various meetings as requested.
- Represents the City’s economic and community development goals and objectives on various boards and organizations on the local, regional and state levels and provides liaison with other departments on related activities.
- May serve as backup for other positions within the department.
- Serves as records officer by assuming responsibility for handling records; knows rules and procedures and acts as a liaison with the Records Commission and Records Administrator.
- Interacts with, departments and groups, both internally and within the community, to provide information, disseminate departmental information and assist in resolving administrative issues
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The City of Gahanna offers comprehensive benefit packages including health insurance, prescription drug insurance, employer-paid dental and vision insurance, Health Savings Account contributions, life insurance, supplemental life insurance, AD&D insurance, retirement benefits, deferred compensation programs, and an Employee Assistance Program. The City also offers vacation, personal time, sick leave, paid holidays, flex time, and public service credit (when applicable). In addition, the City also offers college tuition reimbursement, employer-paid professional development, and an annual service credit. *Subject to change with collective bargaining agreement and/or salary ordinance changes.
For more information and to apply, please click here.
Ohio Department of Development Selects MBAC Partners as Part of the Minority Business Assistance Center Network Program
The Ohio Department of Development today announced its selection of hosts to join the Minority Business Assistance Center (MBAC) Network Program for the July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2025, grant period. They will serve the needs of Ohio’s minority-, women-, veteran-, and disadvantaged businesses for their region.read more
We Can Only Go Up from Here
High Density Mixed Use Planned to Replace Blighted Neighborhood in Whitehall
Like in life, it’s not the hand your dealt that defines you in economic development. It’s about how you play your cards and capitalize on opportunities for your community.
Yes in Our Back Yard
Ever since the Intel announcement, the region has had endless conversations about how to be “Intel Ready.” While Intel will undoubtedly be a gamechanger for Ohio, we’re behind the eight ball if we weren’t already preparing for population growth and increased pressure on our built infrastructure and logistics pipelines.read more