Director – Ottawa County Improvement Corporation (OCIC) – Oak Harbor, Ohio
JOB TITLE: Director
REPORTS TO: OCIC Executive Board
POSITION STATUS: Full-time, Salaried Position
Benefits include: Vacation/Personal Time, Retirement, and Life Insurance
The Ottawa County Improvement Corporation (OCIC) serves as the lead economic and workforce development agency for Ottawa County. The mission of the organization is to advance, encourage and promote the industrial, economic, commercial and civic development of Ottawa County.
The OCIC is actively searching for an individual to fill the position of Director. The Director is part of a team responsible for developing relationships with local, regional, and national businesses, organizations, educational institutions, and agency partners to identify and carry out the economic and workforce development needs within the County. The Director is primarily responsible for planning, organizing and implementing efforts related to business attraction, retention and expansion. The Director serves as the economic development representative of Ottawa County to the various ad hoc organizations and coalitions at the local/regional/state levels in which the County participates. The Director is also responsible for overseeing OCIC personnel.
The ideal candidate will be able to operate independently and be a results-oriented, strategic leader who can work effectively and collaboratively with public and private sector partners. Additionally, the Director will have a solid level of expertise, credibility, accountability and passion for enhancing private sector profitability, encouraging capital investment and supporting job creation.
PRIMARY / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides agency leadership and oversight; updates and revises the agency’s economic development strategy as necessary and oversees its implementation
- Guided by the economic development strategy, negotiates and structures financial assistance to eligible businesses in accordance with state mandated authority and takes projects from inception through closing
- Oversees grant and contract management and any other commercial property matters, agency accounting, finance, risk management, compliance, and budgeting
- Maintains regular contact with private sector businesses to assure their needs are being met
- Effectively meets with local elected officials, employers, educators and other community organizations to convey services of the organization
- Assists with workforce development functions related to development, retention and growth opportunities
- Creates and supports a network of workforce and business development resources
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS & DESIRED EXPERIENCE:
- Experience in economic development and/or public administration
- Experience in a related occupation within a business or not-for-profit entity
- Experience in workforce development strategies, including interagency coordination and managing funding requirements
- Experience in managing and developing budgets and financial documents
- Related BA or BS Degree
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office
- Excellent organizational, supervisory, and communication skills
- Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Working knowledge of local, county, state and federal programs
- Working knowledge of the legislative process at local, county, and state levels
- Experience working with a board of directors
- Ability to effectively multi-task
- Energetic and self-motivated
- Ability and willingness to travel when necessary
$60,000 to $85,000 annually – based on previous experience and relevant qualifications. This is a full-time (40-hours per week) exempt position. Attendance to night and weekend events may be required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a resume and cover letter via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line reading OCIC Director Position. Questions should be directed to this email account only. This job posting will close at 5:00pm on Wednesday, February 12, 2020.
The Ottawa County Improvement Corporation operates in a Drug-Free Workplace and is an “Equal Opportunity Employer.” All applicants must be able to pass applicable background checks, drug testing, and other tests as approved and assigned by the Executive Board. Applicants may be requested to undergo additional pre-employment checks/test including, but not limited to reference, credentials, driving record, etc.
Click here for the full position description.
Much more than just “drug houses”; State grants to fund commercial building demolition would propel county land banks as key drivers of Ohio’s economic development
In late April 2021, a legislative committee in the Ohio House held its second hearing to consider creating a $100 million grant program, exclusively for county land banks, to fund commercial building demolition. Ohio’s land bank statutes are recognized as a national model, uniquely providing an opt-in for county commissioners to direct tax collections to fund their county land banks’ activities. That revenue model, coupled with allocations from the state’s Hardest Hit Fund (specifically, the sun-setting Neighborhood Initiative Program), allowed land banks to grow in number during the past decade and thrive in addressing so-called nonproductive land in their communities.read more
Archbold, Ohio – Communication, collaboration, and partnerships are all sometimes a difficult ask. The ultimate goal of all three is to produce action that leads to meeting a goal or need. At Paulding High School, the goal was met as five students completed the Northwest State Community College welding course. The offering, consisting of two college level welding courses, came to fruition alongside the OhioMeansJobs-Defiance and Paulding Counties Office, the Paulding County Economic Development Office, Paulding High School, and Northwest State Community College.read more
Every year we celebrate the organizations and individuals that have partnered with us to help grow our local economy. Due to COVID-19, we were unable to host our Annual Meeting & Business Development Awards Ceremony. This year we celebrated the Award recipients at their place of business.read more