Economic Development Specialist – Ohio University’s Voinovich School of Leadership & Public Affairs – Proctorville, Ohio Branch
THIS IS A GRANT-FUNDED POSITION. EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON CONTINUED FUNDING FROM THE GRANT PROVIDER. POSITION OPEN DATE: 10/16/19. THIS POSITION IS LOCATED AT THE OHIO UNIVERSITY PROCTERVILLE CAMPUS
This position requires a flexible, team player who will assist faculty, professional staff, & students w/technical assistance, applied research, data compilation/analysis, project administration, oral presentations, & report writing in the area of community & economic development. Position will directly apply knowledge of local & state economic development policies & tools specific to OH.
Essential Duties, Task and Responsibilities:
• Interact and engage with external stakeholders (public, private and non-profit) on economic and workforce development initiatives in the region.
• Compiling & analyzing publicly available economic, demographic, industry, & occupational data; conducting industry cluster & economic impact analyses, asset mapping; & other research using common economics-based statistical techniques.
• Develop written reports and oral presentations to communicate research, data, and thought leadership to stakeholders.
• Assist the supervisor & other faculty & staff with writing grant proposals & managing projects.
Skills and Abilities:
• Experience with Port Authorities, Special Improvement Districts, Joint Economic Development Districts, tax abatement/credit programs, enterprise bond funds, grant programs, workforce development, real estate redevelopment & other tools available to support economic development efforts in OH.
• Strong oral communication skills are required to present to stakeholders & represent the School in public & private meetings.
• Strong academic & professional writing skills are required to contribute to research reports.
The position will assist the supervisor and other faculty and staff with writing grant proposals and managing projects. Experience with research and practice grounded in economic concepts and their application in a rural area is preferred.
This position is based at Ohio University’s Proctorville campus.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a grant funded position and is available immediately after the search.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree in city and regional planning, or economics/agricultural economics, or public policy, or a similar field. One to two years of work experience is also required. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel as needed to fulfill job duties.
For a complete job description and to apply for the position, please visit:
For full consideration please apply by September 15, 2019.
Join a discussion, hosted by the Greater Ohio Policy Center (GOPC), to learn about the recently passed HB168, which establishes the bona fide purchaser defense (BFPD) into Ohio law. The establishment of the BFPD into Ohio law better aligns Ohio law with federal standards, and aims to encourage the redevelopment of lightly contaminated brownfield sites.read more
In between our email newsletters and event updates, be sure to go follow OEDA’s new and updated social media channels to ensure you stay up-to-date with our events, economic development news, and other communications!read more
OEDA has been listening and learning as the issues around systemic racism have been brought to the forefront and captured the nation’s attention. It is devastating that the deaths of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd—and, sadly, the indisputable video evidence of their killings—became the catalysts for our country to collectively pay attention and admit that systemic racism exists. What is also indisputable is that the time for change is now.read more