Local Government Affairs & Engagement Manager – JobsOhio – Columbus, Ohio
JobsOhio is a private, nonprofit corporation designed to drive job creation and new capital investment in Ohio through business attraction, retention and expansion efforts. The company focuses on ten diverse industries: Advanced Manufacturing; Aerospace and Aviation; Automotive; Federal/Military; Financial Services; Food Processing; Healthcare; Information Technology; Logistics & Distribution; and Shale Energy & Petrochemicals.
Summary of Position
Collaborates in the execution of government affairs and external engagement strategy to promote the interests of JobsOhio, JobsOhio Regional Network Partners, and Ohio’s overall economic development climate. Supports the mission of JobsOhio by cultivating, maintaining, and strengthening relationships with statewide elected and nonelected officials. The position serves a critical role on the government affairs team, which works to strengthen stakeholder relationships, position the organization as a resource to stakeholders, and mitigate organizational risks. This position reports to the Director of Government Affairs and Engagement.
Responsibilities and Duties: The Local Government Affairs & Engagement Manager will, in consultation with the Director of Government Affairs & Engagement and Chief of Staff, assist in the execution of various government affairs and external engagement strategies that include, but are not limited to:
- Execute the statewide local government affairs and local economic development engagement strategy with both elected and non-elected officials, associations, trade groups, and economic development partners to increase awareness of JobsOhio’s mission, impact and success throughout Ohio.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with and respond to incoming inquiries from local, regional and state level economic development practitioners, company governmental affairs executives, and influential associations and trade groups.
- Promote JobsOhio reputation and opportunities for positive exposure by collaborating internally with Marketing and Communications and other promotional teams to capture opportunities where the Company can highlight successes.
- Proactively brief stakeholders on JobsOhio milestones and issues and receive their feedback, ensuring a clear and consistent two-way flow of information to assist in working toward next steps or the appropriate solutions.
- Support JobsOhio functional teams in interaction with local officials
- Reinforce the JobsOhio delivery model via the REDO/ LEDO partnerships to ensure accomplishments and performance results are shared with stakeholders. On request, serve in tandem with the assigned managing director to identify and propose problem resolutions to improve outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Director of Government Affairs and Engagement to coach and mentor government affairs and regional engagement team members and execute strategic outreach plan that maximizes state and local initiatives and partnerships.
- Champion recommendations for continuous improvement through an internal deliberation process to ensure stakeholder feedback and customer perceptions are vetted and practice changes or decisions are shared with the appropriate stakeholders.
- Manage challenging communications and situations with decorum
- Monitor local policies impacting JobsOhio and Ohio’s economic development climate
- 30-40% in-state travel will be required
- Knowledge of economic development and government in Ohio
- Interpersonal skills (establishing and preserving relationships)
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Commitment to quickly master JobsOhio technology platforms (Salesforce, Paycom, Concur, Box…etc.)
- Problem solving/analysis
- Highly ethical and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality
Education and Experience
3-5 years of experience in Government, Economic Development, Public Affairs, and/or Government Relations. Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Communications, or related field.
Click here for more information and to apply today!
JobsOhio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, familial status, or veteran status.
The Clinton County Port Authority is marking National Economic Development Week from May 9-15, 2021, to celebrate the contributions of positive economic development and discuss the role of the profession in the local community.read more
A research and arts project to document how eastern Ohio has been shaped by changes in the coal industry was awarded a $35,000 grant from the Sustainability Institute at Ohio State. The Ohio Coal Transition: Pathways for Community Resilience is a partnership between The Ohio State University’s School of Environment and Natural Resources, OSU Extension, University Libraries, and the departments of Theatre, Geography and Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering.read more
Much more than just “drug houses”; State grants to fund commercial building demolition would propel county land banks as key drivers of Ohio’s economic development
In late April 2021, a legislative committee in the Ohio House held its second hearing to consider creating a $100 million grant program, exclusively for county land banks, to fund commercial building demolition. Ohio’s land bank statutes are recognized as a national model, uniquely providing an opt-in for county commissioners to direct tax collections to fund their county land banks’ activities. That revenue model, coupled with allocations from the state’s Hardest Hit Fund (specifically, the sun-setting Neighborhood Initiative Program), allowed land banks to grow in number during the past decade and thrive in addressing so-called nonproductive land in their communities.read more