Local Government Affairs & Engagement Manager – JobsOhio – Columbus, Ohio
JobsOhio is a private, nonprofit corporation designed to drive job creation and new capital investment in Ohio through business attraction, retention and expansion efforts. The company focuses on ten diverse industries: Advanced Manufacturing; Aerospace and Aviation; Automotive; Federal/Military; Financial Services; Food Processing; Healthcare; Information Technology; Logistics & Distribution; and Shale Energy & Petrochemicals.
Summary of Position
Collaborates in the execution of government affairs and external engagement strategy to promote the interests of JobsOhio, JobsOhio Regional Network Partners, and Ohio’s overall economic development climate. Supports the mission of JobsOhio by cultivating, maintaining, and strengthening relationships with statewide elected and nonelected officials. The position serves a critical role on the government affairs team, which works to strengthen stakeholder relationships, position the organization as a resource to stakeholders, and mitigate organizational risks. This position reports to the Director of Government Affairs and Engagement.
Responsibilities and Duties: The Local Government Affairs & Engagement Manager will, in consultation with the Director of Government Affairs & Engagement and Chief of Staff, assist in the execution of various government affairs and external engagement strategies that include, but are not limited to:
- Execute the statewide local government affairs and local economic development engagement strategy with both elected and non-elected officials, associations, trade groups, and economic development partners to increase awareness of JobsOhio’s mission, impact and success throughout Ohio.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with and respond to incoming inquiries from local, regional and state level economic development practitioners, company governmental affairs executives, and influential associations and trade groups.
- Promote JobsOhio reputation and opportunities for positive exposure by collaborating internally with Marketing and Communications and other promotional teams to capture opportunities where the Company can highlight successes.
- Proactively brief stakeholders on JobsOhio milestones and issues and receive their feedback, ensuring a clear and consistent two-way flow of information to assist in working toward next steps or the appropriate solutions.
- Support JobsOhio functional teams in interaction with local officials
- Reinforce the JobsOhio delivery model via the REDO/ LEDO partnerships to ensure accomplishments and performance results are shared with stakeholders. On request, serve in tandem with the assigned managing director to identify and propose problem resolutions to improve outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Director of Government Affairs and Engagement to coach and mentor government affairs and regional engagement team members and execute strategic outreach plan that maximizes state and local initiatives and partnerships.
- Champion recommendations for continuous improvement through an internal deliberation process to ensure stakeholder feedback and customer perceptions are vetted and practice changes or decisions are shared with the appropriate stakeholders.
- Manage challenging communications and situations with decorum
- Monitor local policies impacting JobsOhio and Ohio’s economic development climate
- 30-40% in-state travel will be required
- Knowledge of economic development and government in Ohio
- Interpersonal skills (establishing and preserving relationships)
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Commitment to quickly master JobsOhio technology platforms (Salesforce, Paycom, Concur, Box…etc.)
- Problem solving/analysis
- Highly ethical and the ability to maintain strict confidentiality
Education and Experience
3-5 years of experience in Government, Economic Development, Public Affairs, and/or Government Relations. Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science, Communications, or related field.
Click here for more information and to apply today!
JobsOhio is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, ancestry, familial status, or veteran status.
At OEDA, we are thankful for our members who are passionately committed to the success of their communities and advancing Ohio’s economy. Over the past year, we’ve appreciated having you as part of our community of economic development professionals and are grateful for the opportunity to be your partner again in 2023.read more
As your partner for success at every step of your career, OEDA strives to provide high-impact training opportunities for our members each year. The foundation of that training is our Basic Economic Development Course (Ohio BEDC). This year’s course will be held from May 1-4 in Dublin, Ohio, and Early Bird Registration is open from now until March 1.read more
(Wilmington, Ohio) The Clinton County Workforce Collaborative hosted its first meeting of the year on Thursday, January 19. With almost 40 individuals present, representing schools, businesses, service providers, and community organizations, members reviewed accomplishments from 2022, established a new meeting structure for 2023, and discussed how their current efforts can continue to meet the needs of the local community.read more