Manager/Director, Business Retention & Expansion – Wayne Economic Development Council (WEDC)
The Wayne Economic Development Council (WEDC) is a public-private partnership dedicated to economic development and strategic business growth in Wayne County and Northeast Ohio. In serving the interests of the local community, the WEDC’s primary role is to stimulate new capital investment and job growth through business expansion and attraction initiatives.
General Purpose – Vibrant communities have healthy economies with diverse economic activity occurring related to job growth, business growth and attraction with sustainable infrastructures. WEDC’s Business Retention and Expansion efforts (BR & E) are an economic development strategy that proactively connects with existing businesses to understand and respond to needs of the business community. WEDC’s comprehensive BR & E strategy recognizes the contributions of existing business to the local economy, encourages and supports expansion for sustainable job growth, provides assistance to businesses to address challenges, and makes vital connections to local and state resources for successful results.
Reporting – The Director, Business Retention & Expansion reports to the WEDC President
Primary Responsibilities – Developing, directing, and executing business retention and expansion opportunities and lead/support efforts related to industry sector-focused workforce development activities for the WEDC in Wayne County.
Business Retention and Expansion responsibilities include:
- Development and oversight of the WEDC “BizConnects” program including identifying and coordinating targeted business visits, identification of business assistance needs, provide scope of services needed, and track visits, business trends, and services provided.
- Identify and foster expansion opportunities and provide assistance to at-risk businesses.
- Build partnerships among public and private organizations to facilitate and coordinate the delivery of quality services and/or assistance to businesses.
- Monitor, track, analyze, and report on relevant economic statistical data and fiscal impact analysis.
Workforce and Talent Development responsibilities include:
- Lead/support efforts related to identifying critical and specific workforce needs and fostering alignment with identified educational strategies, curriculum, training needs, programs and lifelong learning opportunities.
- Identify and assess “best practices” regionally and nationally to ensure Wayne County’s workforce pipeline is a competitive advantage.
- Execute and sustain effective partnerships between business, education, labor, economic development, and workforce organizations to sustain awareness that includes public and media relations, website content, and appropriate/effective marketing to connect employers, education/training services with prospective employees.
Administration responsibilities include:
- Support the work of the Board of Directors, Advisory Council, and other internal/external committees as assigned.
- Represent the WEDC at select external events as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications – Graduate of an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum of five years of experience in economic development, business management, community development or marketing and communications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities –
- Background in economic development, business management, manufacturing leadership, communications or marketing.
- Experience and knowledge of opportunities and challenges with business development and manufacturing.
- Experience representing organizations in a professional manner and ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to create, develop, execute and manage projects and programs.
- Ability to collaborate, work effectively, and network within a variety of groups, teams and public/private organizations.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to track, analyze, and report on key statistical data and metrics.
- Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation development, and database management.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate periodic after hours and weekend requirements, as needed.
- Commitment and passion for economic development and strategic business growth of Wayne County.
Please submit letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of business day on August 20, 2021 or mail to 542 East Liberty St. Wooster, OH 44691.
Ohio’s Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) program is the major state program that enables collaboration among municipalities and townships to encourage investment and job creation. Over the past few years, the JEDD program has undergone a number of significant changes that impact on its practical use.read more
I first met Dan in the fall of 2016. I had moved to Central Ohio over the late holiday season in 2015 to begin serving as the new Director of GROW Licking County CIC, Dan’s former role. I was immediately struck by many in the community who worried that I would “not be enough,” that the “shoes were too big,” and that “Dan was larger than life.” And they were right.read more
The Ohio Economic Development Association’s annual Excellence Awards program recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations in Ohio in the areas of economic and workforce development. Submit your nominations today and have excellence in your community recognized statewide!
A panel of judges will evaluate the nominations, determine finalists, and select a winner for each of the categories noted below. Award winners will be announced in conjunction with the 2022 OEDA Annual Summit, being held October 3-6 at the Exchange at Bridge Park in Dublin, Ohio.read more