Manager, Research & Commercialization – Telework Eligible – ODOD
Primary Location:United States of America-OHIO-Franklin County-Columbus
Work Locations:Riffe Tower 2877 South High Street28th Floor Columbus43215
Organization:Ohio Department of Development
Bargaining Unit / Exempt:Exempt
Work Hours:M-F, Hybrid Telework
Compensation:$65,000-70,000 yr. based on qualifications
Unposting Date:Oct 10, 2022, 11:59:00 PM
Job Function:Economics and Development
Job Level:Individual ContributorAgency Contact Name:Tim Keeling
Agency Contact Information:email@example.com
“At Development, we invest in the people, places, & business, of Ohio in ways that empower them to succeed. This mission is fulfilled by our dedicated & talented team that comes to work every day ready to make difference in the lives of their fellow Ohioans. If you’re looking to be part of a team that values bold thinking, diversity in people & ideas, being responsive, & always taking a solution-focused approach, I encourage you to view Development’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan to learn more about Development’s work culture & how you could make a difference for Ohioans.” – Director Lydia Mihalik
We are presently searching for an experienced candidate for the position of
Manager, Research & Commercialization
in our Office of Technology Investments
What You’ll Do:
The Manager, Research & Commercialization will work as part of the Ohio Third Frontier team & is responsible for the administration & all related program activity of the Technology Validation & Start-up Fund Program. This will include drafting Requests For Proposals, managing the RFP & proposal process, managing the evaluation process through award, as well as reviewing & approving requests for payments & reports from grantees, ensuring compliance with program rules & policies, attending meetings, & working with Division & Department staff on a variety of other activities.
Some of the Job Duties:
* Coordinates & manages the Technology Validation Start-up Fund in the Office of Technology Investments & other various
programs within the Strategic Investment Division
* Handles program Requests for Proposals (i.e., RFPs) & applications, award commitments & approvals, contract
development & execution, disbursements, reporting, compliance, amendments & terminations, remedial actions, overall
program management & monitoring, & requests by Development leadership, Communications &/or Legal staff; reviews &
approves applications & other documents for program compliance based upon program laws, guidelines, & policies
* Works with third-party evaluators throughout the review process, including to identify applications for funding, conduct
applicant interviews, review reports & presentations, & approve invoices for payment
* Works with Development staff & applicant representatives to correct application information deficiencies; generates grant
agreements from approved applications; coordinates with grantees to modify or amend existing grant agreements
* Reviews grantee invoice submittals for completeness
* Builds constructive working relationships between Department & grantees
* Attends grantee selection committee meetings for Phase I projects
* Approves Phase I prospectus forms for approved projects
* Works with grantees to correct invoice submittal deficiencies & collects appropriate supporting documentation
* Identifies non-compliance issues with companies’ commitments
* Prepares & sends non-compliance notifications to companies
* Negotiates changes to projects in relation to non-compliance as possible under program guidelines & rules
* Collaborates with the Office of Communications on marketing material
* Analyzes existing program operations for performance & effectiveness
* Establishes & maintains filing systems; ensures urgent items are addressed promptly; develops workflow schedule
* Develops policy for the administration of the program; prepares custom, routine, & annual reports as requested.
What’s in it for you:
At the State of Ohio, we take care of the team that cares for Ohioans. We provide a variety of quality, competitive benefits to eligible full-time and part-time employees. For a list of all the State of Ohio Benefits, visit our Total Rewards website! Our benefits package includes:
- Quality, affordable, and competitive medical benefits are offered through the available Ohio Med plans.
Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance
- Dental, vision, and basic life insurance premiums are free after completed eligibility period. Length of eligibility period is dependent on union representation.
Time Away From Work and Work/Life Balance
- Paid time off, including vacation, personal, and sick leave
- 11 paid holidays per year
- Childbirth/Adoption leave
Employee Development Funds
- The State of Ohio offers a variety of educational and professional development funding that varies based on whether you are a union-exempt employee or a union-represented employee.
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System
- OPERS is the retirement system for State of Ohio employees. The employee contributes 10% of their salary towards their retirement. The employer contributes an amount equal to 14% of the employee’s salary. Visit the OPERS website for more information.
- The Ohio Deferred Compensation program is a 457(b) voluntary retirement savings plan. Visit the Ohio Deferred Compensation website for more information.
Ohio is a Disability Inclusion State and strives to be a Model Employer of Individuals with disabilities. The State of Ohio is committed to providing access and inclusion and reasonable accommodation in its services, activities, programs and employment opportunities in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other applicable laws.
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration, Economic Development, Public Administration, or a related field OR
equivalent work experience.
- Previous experience in working with the grant administration process or in managing a grant program.
- Previous experience in working with start-up companies, technology transfer or the product commercialization process.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- PC proficiency in using word processing, spreadsheet software & other technology platforms.
- Must possess valid driver’s license & be able to travel to various sites around Ohio & occasionally Outside of Ohio.
Background Check Information
The final candidate selected for this position will be required to undergo a criminal background check & drug screen. Criminal convictions do not necessarily preclude an applicant from consideration for a position. An individual assessment of an applicant’s prior criminal convictions will be made before excluding an applicant from consideration.
The Ohio Export Internship Program matches businesses interested in growing exports with highly motivated college students who have taken export-focused coursework. The Ohio Department of Development offers participating small to medium-sized businesses a 50 percent reimbursement for the wages of the intern.read more
Louis Dreyfus Company (LDC), a leading merchant and processor of agricultural goods, announced plans for its state-of-the-art soybean processing facility to be located in Wyandot County, Ohio. The project will bolster the region’s economic growth in the critical food and agriculture sector. LDC’s facility will be located just outside of the City of Upper Sandusky; it’s first location in the State of Ohio.read more
The Ohio General Assembly, in its budget bill (HB33) approved July 3, 2023, authorized up to $750 million in state budget resources to the All Ohio Future Fund (R.C. 126.62). The fund is to be used for infrastructure to compete for — and win – more sizeable economic development projects such as the Amazon, Honda-LG, and Intel megaprojects that Ohio landed in recent years.read more