Ohio House Speaker Announces Committee Chairs for 135th General Assembly
President & CEO, OEDA
Speaker Jason Stephens has announced his appointments for 28 House Committees, selecting members who both supported and opposed his bid for the speakership.
Rep. Merrin, who was expected to be speaker but lost in a last minute bid by Rep. Stephens, was named vice chair of the Ways & Means Committee. This is seen by many as a demotion since he chaired the committee during the last General Assembly.
As expected, Speaker Stevens appointed Rep. Jay Edwards (Nelsonville) to chair the Finance Committee. Speaker Stephens has also created new Finance Sub Committees including two dedicated to Public Safety and one dedicated to Infrastructure & American Rescue Plan.
Other chairmanships include:
- Agriculture, Rep. Rodney Creech (R-W. Alexandria).
- Armed Services, Rep. Mike Loychik (R-Cortland).
- Aviation & Aerospace, Rep. Holmes.
- Behavioral Health, Rep. Gail Pavliga (R-Atwater).
- Civil Justice, Rep. Brett Hillyer (R-Uhrichsville).
- Commerce & Labor, Rep. Mark Johnson (R-Chillicothe).
- Criminal Justice, Rep. Cindy Abrams (R-Harrison).
- Economic & Workforce Development, Rep. D.J. Swearingen (R-Huron).
- Financial Institutions, Rep. Kris Jordan (R-Ostrander).
- Government Oversight, Rep. Bob Peterson (R-Sabina).
- Homeland Security, Rep. Haraz Ghanbari (R-Perrysburg).
- Infrastructure, Rep. Reggie Stoltzfus (R-Paris Twp.).
- Insurance, Rep. Brian Lampton (R-Fairborn).
- Pensions, Rep. Bob Young (R-N. Canton).
- Public Utilities, Rep. Dick Stein (R-Norwalk).
- State & Local Government, Rep. Marilyn John (R-Shelby).
- Technology & Innovation, Rep. Thomas Hall (R-Middletown).
- Transportation, Rep. Riordan McClain (R-Upper Sandusky).
- Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review Track, Rep. Jamie Callender (R-Concord).
- Joint Legislative Ethics Committee Track, Speaker Stephens.
Finance subcommittee chairs are:
- Agriculture, Development & Natural Resources, Rep. Don Jones (R-Freeport).
- Health & Human Services, Rep. Sara Carruthers (R-Hamilton).
- Primary & Secondary Education, Rep. Tracy Richardson (R-Marysville).
- Public Safety, Rep. Kevin Miller (R-Newark).
- Transportation, Rep. Thomas Patton (R-Strongsville).
- Infrastructure & American Rescue Plan, Rep. Callender.
Save the Date! OEDA Annual Summit September 12-14, 2023
2023 Annual Summit – September 12-14, 2023 – The Nationwide Hotel & Conference Center Ohioread more
Ohio Department of Development Selects MBAC Partners as Part of the Minority Business Assistance Center Network Program
The Ohio Department of Development today announced its selection of hosts to join the Minority Business Assistance Center (MBAC) Network Program for the July 1, 2023, through June 30, 2025, grant period. They will serve the needs of Ohio’s minority-, women-, veteran-, and disadvantaged businesses for their region.read more
We Can Only Go Up from Here
High Density Mixed Use Planned to Replace Blighted Neighborhood in Whitehall
Like in life, it’s not the hand your dealt that defines you in economic development. It’s about how you play your cards and capitalize on opportunities for your community.