Ohio House Speaker Announces Committee Chairs for 135th General Assembly
President & CEO, OEDA
Speaker Jason Stephens has announced his appointments for 28 House Committees, selecting members who both supported and opposed his bid for the speakership.
Rep. Merrin, who was expected to be speaker but lost in a last minute bid by Rep. Stephens, was named vice chair of the Ways & Means Committee. This is seen by many as a demotion since he chaired the committee during the last General Assembly.
As expected, Speaker Stevens appointed Rep. Jay Edwards (Nelsonville) to chair the Finance Committee. Speaker Stephens has also created new Finance Sub Committees including two dedicated to Public Safety and one dedicated to Infrastructure & American Rescue Plan.
Other chairmanships include:
- Agriculture, Rep. Rodney Creech (R-W. Alexandria).
- Armed Services, Rep. Mike Loychik (R-Cortland).
- Aviation & Aerospace, Rep. Holmes.
- Behavioral Health, Rep. Gail Pavliga (R-Atwater).
- Civil Justice, Rep. Brett Hillyer (R-Uhrichsville).
- Commerce & Labor, Rep. Mark Johnson (R-Chillicothe).
- Criminal Justice, Rep. Cindy Abrams (R-Harrison).
- Economic & Workforce Development, Rep. D.J. Swearingen (R-Huron).
- Financial Institutions, Rep. Kris Jordan (R-Ostrander).
- Government Oversight, Rep. Bob Peterson (R-Sabina).
- Homeland Security, Rep. Haraz Ghanbari (R-Perrysburg).
- Infrastructure, Rep. Reggie Stoltzfus (R-Paris Twp.).
- Insurance, Rep. Brian Lampton (R-Fairborn).
- Pensions, Rep. Bob Young (R-N. Canton).
- Public Utilities, Rep. Dick Stein (R-Norwalk).
- State & Local Government, Rep. Marilyn John (R-Shelby).
- Technology & Innovation, Rep. Thomas Hall (R-Middletown).
- Transportation, Rep. Riordan McClain (R-Upper Sandusky).
- Joint Committee on Agency Rule Review Track, Rep. Jamie Callender (R-Concord).
- Joint Legislative Ethics Committee Track, Speaker Stephens.
Finance subcommittee chairs are:
- Agriculture, Development & Natural Resources, Rep. Don Jones (R-Freeport).
- Health & Human Services, Rep. Sara Carruthers (R-Hamilton).
- Primary & Secondary Education, Rep. Tracy Richardson (R-Marysville).
- Public Safety, Rep. Kevin Miller (R-Newark).
- Transportation, Rep. Thomas Patton (R-Strongsville).
- Infrastructure & American Rescue Plan, Rep. Callender.
Louis Dreyfus Company (LDC), a leading merchant and processor of agricultural goods, announced plans for its state-of-the-art soybean processing facility to be located in Wyandot County, Ohio. The project will bolster the region’s economic growth in the critical food and agriculture sector. LDC’s facility will be located just outside of the City of Upper Sandusky; it’s first location in the State of Ohio.read more
The Ohio General Assembly, in its budget bill (HB33) approved July 3, 2023, authorized up to $750 million in state budget resources to the All Ohio Future Fund (R.C. 126.62). The fund is to be used for infrastructure to compete for — and win – more sizeable economic development projects such as the Amazon, Honda-LG, and Intel megaprojects that Ohio landed in recent years.read more
The Wilmington DRIVE (Downtown Revitalization Investment Vibrancy Effort) Program, adopted a year ago, with the goal of enhancing and accelerating Wilmington’s downtown revitalization and encouraging creative mix-use development, made its first strategic acquisition, closing on the Masonic Lodge Site (28 W. Main St.) on September 29, 2023.read more