Vice-President – Area Development Foundation, Inc. – Mount Vernon, Knox County, Ohio
Position Available: July 2020 (applications due by June 19; see below)
The Area Development Foundation, Inc. (the “Foundation”) was created in the mid-1950s by forward-thinking community leaders to develop the Mount Vernon Enterprise Complex. In the 1980s, the Foundation grew its focus to encompass all Knox County, and today stands as the central clearinghouse for economic development activities in Knox County. This involves responsibilities from negotiating public-private development deals to problem-solving and government relations-type work for employers in the county.
The organization is incredibly dynamic, handling a high volume of interest from local, regional, and state-level stakeholders interested in development opportunities in Knox County. This is not a typical 9-to-5 working environment, as staff are called upon to handle a range of work tasks and responsibilities that change daily.
Of particular relevance to this position, is the need to catalog, market and serve as a catalyst for the development of residential, commercial and industrial property around Knox County. To accomplish this, the Vice President will serve as staff support for the Knox County Land Bank, a non-profit entity formed under Ohio law to reclaim, rehabilitate, and reutilize vacant, abandoned, tax-delinquent, and other priority properties in the county. Furthermore, this position will serve as the local commercial and industrial property expert, that keeps current listings and drives development planning for local real estate.
Further, the Foundation has assumed a role of helping local political jurisdictions and community groups with obtaining professional planning services, as well as directly providing community planning-related advice and recommendations to individuals and entities in need of assistance. This position will augment and enhance the Foundation’s in-house city and regional planning knowledge and expertise in service to constituent groups in the county. It will also assist the local political subdivisions, along with other community partners, in implementing related community plans.
Under the general supervision of the President, the Vice President is a professional-level administrator providing a high-level of detail-oriented independent direction and support to the Foundation. This position exercises judgment and discretion across many facets of the Foundation to ensure both organizations run soundly and smoothly in completing their various tasks, including those involving real estate acquisition and disposition, business recruitment and public relations, and city and regional planning and economic development.
Essential Job Duties
- The Vice President provides administrative support and guidance to the Knox County Land Bank. This will include, but is not limited to, following requirements for lands banks as outlined in the Ohio Revised Code, interacting with the relevant government officials to effectuate property acquisition via the foreclosure process, filing all required documents and reports, maintain a web presence, and soliciting grant assistance from private, government, and non-profit sources.
- The Vice President also serves in a leadership staff position with the Foundation, assisting the President in representing the Foundation, completing assigned tasks on behalf of the organization, and otherwise addressing matters for the Foundation in a timely manner as called
- The Vice President will provide sound planning advice, based on his or her training and experience, to local constituent groups and political jurisdictions in need of information as to city and regional planning best In addition, the Vice President will liaise with funding organizations to ensure timely and professional completion of comprehensive planning efforts across Knox County.
- The Vice President will collaborate with community partners, including governments, business associations, tourism boards, etc. to facilitate the implementation of in-place development related plans.
- The Vice President will assist the President in managing and promptly responding to all incoming business prospect inquiries for available properties, including leads sourced from JobsOhio, One Columbus, private companies, and real estate brokers as
- The Vice President will manage and keep updated an active property listing database for the Foundation’s commercial property listings in Knox County as well as the Land Bank’s targeted and/or acquired properties.
- The Vice President will join, and represent the Foundation and the Land Bank to, local partner organizations as well as at regional and national events and
- The Vice President will assist the President in all manner of enforcing restrictive covenants within the Mount Vernon Enterprise Park and other properties managed or otherwise prioritized by the Foundation or the Land
- Additional duties as required, in-line with the Foundation’s defined strategic goals and development
Desired Qualities and Skills
The ideal candidate should have a demonstrated:
- Commitment to the mission of the Foundation to develop economic and community opportunities across Knox
- Comfort working in a fast-paced office with priorities that may change
- Use of exemplary interpersonal
- Ability to present complex tasks and concepts in an easy to understand
- Ability to develop the capacity of groups and individuals to work together to accomplish development and planning related
- Persistence in accomplishing tasks and excellent follow-through.
- Strong oral and written communication
- Resourcefulness in problem solving with attention to
- Ability to meet deadlines, use time efficiently, prioritize work obligations, and work independently and effectively as a team
- Ability to handle difficult situations and conflicts with a positive attitude and
- Ability to maintain a professional, positive image within the community and with stakeholders, community residents, vendors, elected officials, and other staff
- Ability to climb stairs and sit for long periods of time in front of a
- Ability to stand for long periods of
- Proficiency with office software, including Microsoft Office and Excel; familiarity with Apple products and software a plus.
- A valid driver’s license and access to regular, routine personal transportation
Education & Experience
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in a public sector field such as urban planning, business or public administration, education, law or other related field, or at least three years’ work experience in a relevant corporate, real estate, legal, or public sector professional setting.
Preferred Candidate: A Master’s degree or advanced credential in a public sector field such as urban planning, public administration, law, education, etc. Experience in real estate sales or development. At least five years’ work experience in a relevant corporate, real estate, legal, or public sector professional setting.
Unusual Working Conditions
- Extended working
- Occasional overnight
Persons interested in this position should submit a resume and cover letter no later than 5:00 p.m. on Friday June 19, 2020, to the attention of:
Area Development Foundation, Inc.
Attn: Hiring Committee
P.O. Box 29 Mount Vernon, OH 43050
Questions should be directed to Jeff Gottke at (740) 393-3806.
The Area Development Foundation, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
ROSEVILLE – Nearly a decade of grant-funded projects are transforming the village of Roseville.
Few will have the impact of a the new supermarket building. “It will be the centerpiece of a new downtown,” said Heidi Milner, the village’s fiscal officer.
It is nearing completion on part of the former Ungemach Pottery site on Potters Lane. Construction was funded by $750,000 in grants, the bulk of which was a USDA Rural Development Grant, and local investment. The new building features a grocery store, restaurant space and a walk-up window that could be used for ice cream orders. Garage doors on each side of the dining area will give it a pleasant summer atmosphere, as will a patio behind the building that opens facing the levy.read more
Midway Market in Ostrander is set to double its size and add much-needed services, thanks in part to a loan facilitated by Consolidated Cooperative.
Ostrander’s only convenience store and gas station, Midway Market will double the square footage of the convenience and grocery store and add a car and pet wash.read more
WILMINGTON, OH — The Clinton County Port Authority (CCPA) recently launched a new website, created by Golden Shovel Agency, to further strengthen its online presence and the economic growth of the community. The new site includes county-wide data, information specifically collected for site selectors, and local business resources to serve as a one-stop-shop for companies considering new investment or expansion in Clinton County.read more