2020 Ohio Basic Economic Development Course
The 2020 Ohio Basic Economic Development Course
This year’s course is made possible through the generosity of Ice Miller….
With the new challenges that our communities are facing with the COVID 10 pandemic, this training is more important than ever.
So, join us for the 2020 Ohio Basic Economic Development Course, the comprehensive introductory and refresher course for economic developers.
The Ohio Basic Economic Development Course emphasizes theoretical and practical perspectives on economic development and provides participants with the skills needed to organize, plan, and implement economic growth initiatives. Those new to economic development are encouraged to take this course first as an overview of the field’s key activities. This comprehensive training course will introduce the participant to foundational elements of economic development including:
In 2020, the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course will be an on-line, on-demand interactive course featuring more than 25 experienced practitioner instructors and thought leaders in economic development.
The course will include on-demand webinar and live on-line course material, including dialogue with course instructors, opportunities for networking and additional material.
The course will be structured in five modules:
1) Fundamentals of Economic Development.
2) Attraction, Site Selection, Business Retention & Expansion.
3) Economic Development Tools.
4) Ethics & Economic Development Organizations; and
5) Current Issues in Economic Development
Specific topics covered will include:
- How businesses in our communities are impacted by COVID
- Strategies for business and community recovery
- Economic development credit analysis
- Business retention and expansion
- Real estate development and reuse
- Strategic planning
- Marketing and business attraction
- Entrepreneurial and small business development
- Neighborhood development strategies
- Technology-led economic development
- Workforce development and training
- Ethics in economic development
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
In Ohio, successful economic development efforts require local, regional, and state level execution of economic development strategies and utilization of local, state and federal programs and tools. This course was originally developed for economic development professionals but community leaders, local government officials and others committed to building healthy economies for their communities and the state of Ohio will also benefit from this program.
We are proud to announce that the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course is recognized by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC), American Planning Association (APA and AICP), National Development Council, and the Ohio Supreme Court (CLE).
The OBEDC is offered in partnership with the International Economic Development Council (IEDC). Accreditation by IEDC ensures that Ohio’s Basic Economic Development Course covers subject areas that are the core building blocks in any economic development organization.
- Completion of the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course is a requirement for earning IEDC’s Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) credential and prepares one to sit for the CEcD exam.
Completion of the Ohio Basic Economic Development course is also a requirement for earning the Ohio Certified Economic Developer (OhioCED) credential offered through the Ohio Economic Development Institute (OEDI).
- OEDI provides top-tier, Ohio-focused advanced training for professionals in the core areas of real estate, finance and incentives, retention and expansion, site selection/site development, and workforce and talent. OBEDC is a prerequisite for all of OEDI’s aforementioned core courses and most of OEDI’s elective courses and trainings. For more information about OEDI, visit https://ohioeda.com/programs/#institute.
The course fee is $700 per person. A $650 discounted fee is available for multiple attendees from the same organization. Before choosing this option, please ensure that three or more are registering. Both registration rates include all instruction, course manual and materials. Registration is required no later than May 15, 2020.
Registration is available online at https://ohioeda.com/events/. ; You may pay via credit card or check via this online system.
Payment must be received on or before the first day on which the course is available. Registrations are refundable, less a $50 processing fee, for cancellations made by May 15, 2020. Sorry, no refunds will be given after this date. Registrations with payment pending will be responsible for full payment if cancellation is received after May 15, 2020.
As the economy recovers and Ohio businesses across the state work to stay open or in some cases reopen, JobsOhio’s Northwest Ohio Network Partner, the Regional Growth Partnership, hosting OHZone, a virtual career fair, on Thursday, November 5, 2020.read more
It is time again to start thinking about the Governor’s Cup, awarded by Site Selection magazine every spring.
Although this year presented us with a lot of challenges, Ohio continues to be a leading destination for new business investment and job creation. Through a statewide collaborative effort, we have been able to continue to attract, retain, and grow companies in Ohio.read more
The I70/75 Development Corporation is sponsoring a no-charge online presentation by Louis Gravance, open to all economic developers, on November 6th at 11:30am. Mr. Gravance is a customer service guru and former training designer for Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. After almost two decades with Disney, Louie was drafted by Bank of America and ING Financial to help re-think service in the investment industry.read more