Director, Economic Development – Wayne Economic Development Council
Job Description – Director, Economic Development
The Wayne Economic Development Council (WEDC) is a business-led public-private partnership dedicated to economic development and strategic business and job growth in Wayne County and Northeast Ohio.
General Purpose – Vibrant communities have healthy economies with diverse economic activity related to job growth, business growth and attraction with sustainable infrastructures. WEDC’s business attraction and expansion efforts are an economic development strategy that connects with potential and existing businesses to foster sustainable growth and create/retain jobs in Wayne County.
Primary Responsibilities – Serve as an advocate for economic development in Wayne County through developing, directing and executing business attraction and expansion opportunities and supporting WEDC’s economic development initiatives and activities.
Reporting – The Director, Economic Development reports to the WEDC President.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Development and management of economic development plans to attract new business and foster existing business retention and growth in Wayne County through prospect analysis, contact strategies, outreach and marketing efforts.
- Manage site selection inquiries, proposal process and request for information pertaining to available land and properties within Wayne County.
- Maintain a database of available properties and work with developers, realtors and area landowners, researching properties and businesses, and facilitating prospect tours.
- Effectively collaborate with economic development partner organizations and state/local government officials.
- Coordinate and facilitate economic development tools including Enterprise Zone agreements and Community Reinvestment Areas.
- Provide support to the Wayne County Community Improvement Corporation and Wayne County Transportation Improvement District.
- Assist with the development of marketing materials, community profiles and WEDC Toolkits.
- Support the work of the Board of Directors, Advisory Council and other internal/external committees as assigned.
- Represent the WEDC at select external events as assigned.
Preferred Qualifications – Graduate of an accredited four-year college or university with a minimum of three years of experience in economic development, city planning, business management, site selection management, or community development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities –
- Background in business development, community and economic development, site selection, or marketing.
- Knowledge of economic development programs, grants, loans and services available at the state and local level.
- Experience and knowledge of opportunities and challenges with business development and manufacturing.
- Experience representing organizations in a professional manner.
- Ability to create, develop, execute and manage projects and programs.
- Ability to collaborate, work effectively, and network within a variety of groups, teams, and public/private organizations.
- Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to track, analyze and report on key statistical data and metrics.
- Computer skills in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation development and database management.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate periodic after-hours and weekend requirements, as needed.
- Commitment and passion for economic development and strategic business growth of Wayne County.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Please submit letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by end of business day on April 20, 2023 or mail to 542 East Liberty St. Wooster, OH 44691.
Register Now for the 2023 Ohio Business Matchmaker
For a more than a decade, the Ohio Business Matchmaker has connected small businesses to government contracting opportunities. As one of the largest business to government matchmaking events in the state, businesses interested in working with the federal, state, or local government have the opportunity to meet with representatives to market and sell their goods and services.read more
Clinton County Port Authority Proud to be an SBDC Ambassador
The Clinton County Port Authority (CCPA) is proud to be one of 50 Ambassadors for the 2023 SBDC Day on March 15, 2023. The day is a national, collective proclamation of the impact America’s Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs) have on the success of our nation’s dreamers, innovators, and doers – America’s small businesses.read more
Now’s the time to Tune up your BRE Program and Take advantage of Early Bird Discounts
OEDI’s Business Retention & Expansion (BRE) Course is taking place May 25 – 26, in Dublin, Ohio. The course is an intensive two-day in person course that focuses on how economic developers work with companies to help them succeed, grow and expand in their community.read more