Economic Development Coordinator – City of Independence
The person holding this full-time position reports directly to the Economic Development Director and will be primarily responsible for reaching out to businesses to assess their needs as a part of the City’s efforts to maintain and expand its business base. The person will also be responsible for developing programs and initiatives to enhance the business experience including but not limited to programing, community engagement and connecting business with resources.
Internally this position works collaboratively with the City’s Administration to develop, coordinate, and promote effective sustainability initiatives to reduce the City’s impact on the environment.
This position may also be assigned to special projects as determined by the Economic Development Director, including but not limited to researching programs and support for businesses to transition to “green” alternatives, providing educational training and opportunities which engage the City’s businesses and residents.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves as the conduit between the City Administration and the business community for business retention and expansion opportunities and follows through with support.
- Use data/economic analyses, background research, and case studies to create reports and presentations for stakeholders.
- Researches and identifies grants and other funding opportunities in support of expanded efforts for both the business and residential communities.
- Manage City’s Economic Development social media profiles.
- Responsible for the City’s Economic Development presence on the City’s Website, in coordination with the Economic Development Director and other City Administration Staff.
- Develop programs to enhance business customers’ experiences.
- Serves as a conduit between regional resources and the Business Community.
- Works with all aspects of the business and residential community and City Administration to promote an understanding and awareness of sustainability issues by coordinating informational training and presentations and promoting energy and water conservation, waste minimization, recycling, sustainable building and landscape design, alternative transportation, procurement of green products, etc.
- Supports facilities management and other departments as appropriate in relation to implementing energy conservation and sustainability programs.
- Assists in defining sustainability goals and tracks performance metrics to assess program effectiveness.
- Any other projects as assigned by the Director of Economic Development.
- Communication Skills- written and verbal
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Data analysis and presentation skills (i.e., GIS, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Attention to detail
- Initiative and Creativity
- Planning and organizing
Education: Bachelor’s degree in planning, business, communications, public administration, or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Considerable professional experience in economic development, communications, marketing, or planning. Experience in local, regional, or state government is preferred. Knowledge and experience developing and implementing economic development business retention/expansion and marketing programs.
Valid Ohio Class D Driver’s License.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and be able to lift up to 20 lbs. when necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The City of Independence is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click Here to Apply Today
OEDA has many interesting and dynamic professional development sessions coming up soon.read more
On April 28, JobsOhio was announced as the National Organization of the Year (in our category) of the 2022 American Business Awards (ABA). Widely regarded as the world’s premier business awards program, this competition attracted more than 3,700 nominations. This recognition is further validation that the JobsOhio platform is Ohio’s competitive advantage.read more
Government agencies and prime contractors that award billions of dollars in contracts will meet in-person with small businesses in Ohio at the 2022 Ohio Business Matchmaker, the largest small business-to-government contracting event in the state.read more