Economic Development Specialist – City of Independence
The Specialist assists in the planning, design, coordination, review and managing of the City’s economic development strategies and programs. Work may include providing technical assistance to businesses and the public; supporting marketing, business retention and expansion efforts; maintaining, analyzing and manipulating database, GIS, reporting and website information; interacting with various agencies, officials, boards and commissions; and providing other complex administrative support for City departments. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Economic Development Director.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with planning, organizing and coordinating the implementation of the City’s economic development strategies and programs.
- Develop, implement and administer business retention and expansion program.
- Coordinate and execute marketing strategy in an effort to promote the city as a premier business location, retain existing business and attract quality business prospects.
- Coordinate, implement and manage promotional communication and marketing efforts to ensure a coordinated and professional profile for the City.
- Manage projects, respond to leads and requests for information, coordinate necessary recordkeeping and reporting.
- Meet with existing business and new business prospects to define retention/expansion opportunities, develop plans and follow through with support;
- Coordinate, develop, prepare materials for and participate in various Council, Board & Commission, business and community meetings, events and initiatives to promote business and community vitality.
- Facilitate interaction with members of the business, real estate and development communities in working with the City.
- Use GIS and other technology to provide data analysis and produce graphic information.
- Research, analyze, and/or develop information regarding the economic climate for issues such as marketing trends, building sites, operating costs, taxes, transportation, natural resources, labor markets, utility costs, community factors, raw materials, revenue forecasting, etc.
- Network with relevant communities, agencies and professional groups to develop skills and build relationships.
- Coordinate efforts to assemble data necessary to monitor and report on department and City goals and activities.
- Other duties as required.
- Communication Skills- written and verbal
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving
- Data analysis and presentation skills (i.e. GIS, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Attention to detail
- Initiative and Creativity
- Planning and organizing
- General knowledge of the principles and practices of economic development, marketing and promotion.
- Comfortable making visitation calls on businesses. Have the skill, demeanor and personality to engage business management in meaningful discussions. Possess the discretion and discipline to address business concerns in a timely manner.
- Excellent project management skills. Highly organized.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with developers, business leaders, real estate agents, government officials, associates and the general public.
- Ability to prepare and present orally and written reports and prepare technical reports. Skill to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Experience using relationship management software designed for economic development (i.e. Executive Pulse, Synchronist, etc.)
- General knowledge of federal, state and local ordinances, policies and procedures related to economic development, planning and zoning.
- Ability to plan, organize, administer and evaluate economic development programs, including identifying and securing funding/revenue sources.
- Aptitude for strategic and critical thinking; with a focus on an analytical approach to achieving desired project outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience managing marketing programs utilizing both traditional and new media.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and database administration. Comfortable using devices, IPhone and IPad in the course of daily work.
- Comfortable working independently and in a group setting.
- Some evening and weekend work may be required.
- Able to establish individual performance measures and possess the self-motivation to achieve them.
Education and Experience:
Education: Bachelor’s degree in planning, business, communications, public administration or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
Experience: Considerable professional experience in economic development, communications, marketing or planning. Experience in local, regional or state government is preferred. Knowledge and experience developing and implementing economic development business retention/expansion and marketing programs.
Valid Ohio Class D Driver’s License.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; and be able to lift up to 20 lbs when necessary.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job.
The City of Independence is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CLICK HERE for more information and to Apply Now
ROSEVILLE – Nearly a decade of grant-funded projects are transforming the village of Roseville.
Few will have the impact of a the new supermarket building. “It will be the centerpiece of a new downtown,” said Heidi Milner, the village’s fiscal officer.
It is nearing completion on part of the former Ungemach Pottery site on Potters Lane. Construction was funded by $750,000 in grants, the bulk of which was a USDA Rural Development Grant, and local investment. The new building features a grocery store, restaurant space and a walk-up window that could be used for ice cream orders. Garage doors on each side of the dining area will give it a pleasant summer atmosphere, as will a patio behind the building that opens facing the levy.read more
Midway Market in Ostrander is set to double its size and add much-needed services, thanks in part to a loan facilitated by Consolidated Cooperative.
Ostrander’s only convenience store and gas station, Midway Market will double the square footage of the convenience and grocery store and add a car and pet wash.read more
WILMINGTON, OH — The Clinton County Port Authority (CCPA) recently launched a new website, created by Golden Shovel Agency, to further strengthen its online presence and the economic growth of the community. The new site includes county-wide data, information specifically collected for site selectors, and local business resources to serve as a one-stop-shop for companies considering new investment or expansion in Clinton County.read more