Economic Development Specialist – Ohio University’s Voinovich School of Leadership & Public Affairs – Proctorville, Ohio Branch
THIS POSITION LOCATION IS LAWRENCE COUNTY, OHIO/HUNTINGTON, WV MSA.
THIS IS A GRANT-FUNDED POSITION. EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON CONTINUED FUNDING FROM THE GRANT PROVIDER.
This position requires a flexible, team player who will assist faculty, professional staff, & students w/technical assistance, applied research, data compilation/analysis, project administration, oral presentations, & report writing in the area of community & economic development. Position will directly apply knowledge of local & state economic development policies & tools specific to OH.
Essential Duties, Task and Responsibilities:
• Interact and engage with external stakeholders (public, private and non-profit) on economic and workforce development initiatives in the region.
• Compiling & analyzing publicly available economic, demographic, industry, & occupational data; conducting industry cluster & economic impact analyses, asset mapping; & other research using common economics-based statistical techniques.
• Develop written reports and oral presentations to communicate research, data, and thought leadership to stakeholders.
• Assist the supervisor & other faculty & staff with writing grant proposals & managing projects.
Skills and Abilities:
• Experience with Port Authorities, Special Improvement Districts, Joint Economic Development Districts, tax abatement/credit programs, enterprise bond funds, grant programs, workforce development, real estate redevelopment & other tools available to support economic development efforts in OH.
• Strong oral communication skills are required to present to stakeholders & represent the School in public & private meetings.
• Strong academic & professional writing skills are required to contribute to research reports.
The position will assist the supervisor and other faculty and staff with writing grant proposals and managing projects. Experience with research and practice grounded in economic concepts and their application in a rural area is preferred.
This position is based at Ohio University’s Proctorville campus.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a grant funded position and is available immediately after the search.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree in city and regional planning, or economics/agricultural economics, or public policy, or a similar field. One to two years of work experience is also required. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel as needed to fulfill job duties.
For a complete job description and to apply for the position, please visit:
For full consideration please apply by November 5, 2019.
The Ohio Export Internship Program matches businesses interested in growing exports with highly motivated college students who have taken export-focused coursework. The Ohio Department of Development offers participating small to medium-sized businesses a 50 percent reimbursement for the wages of the intern.read more
Louis Dreyfus Company (LDC), a leading merchant and processor of agricultural goods, announced plans for its state-of-the-art soybean processing facility to be located in Wyandot County, Ohio. The project will bolster the region’s economic growth in the critical food and agriculture sector. LDC’s facility will be located just outside of the City of Upper Sandusky; it’s first location in the State of Ohio.read more
The Ohio General Assembly, in its budget bill (HB33) approved July 3, 2023, authorized up to $750 million in state budget resources to the All Ohio Future Fund (R.C. 126.62). The fund is to be used for infrastructure to compete for — and win – more sizeable economic development projects such as the Amazon, Honda-LG, and Intel megaprojects that Ohio landed in recent years.read more