Economic Development Specialist – Ohio University’s Voinovich School of Leadership & Public Affairs – Proctorville, Ohio Branch
THIS POSITION LOCATION IS LAWRENCE COUNTY, OHIO/HUNTINGTON, WV MSA.
THIS IS A GRANT-FUNDED POSITION. EMPLOYMENT IS CONTINGENT UPON CONTINUED FUNDING FROM THE GRANT PROVIDER.
This position requires a flexible, team player who will assist faculty, professional staff, & students w/technical assistance, applied research, data compilation/analysis, project administration, oral presentations, & report writing in the area of community & economic development. Position will directly apply knowledge of local & state economic development policies & tools specific to OH.
Essential Duties, Task and Responsibilities:
• Interact and engage with external stakeholders (public, private and non-profit) on economic and workforce development initiatives in the region.
• Compiling & analyzing publicly available economic, demographic, industry, & occupational data; conducting industry cluster & economic impact analyses, asset mapping; & other research using common economics-based statistical techniques.
• Develop written reports and oral presentations to communicate research, data, and thought leadership to stakeholders.
• Assist the supervisor & other faculty & staff with writing grant proposals & managing projects.
Skills and Abilities:
• Experience with Port Authorities, Special Improvement Districts, Joint Economic Development Districts, tax abatement/credit programs, enterprise bond funds, grant programs, workforce development, real estate redevelopment & other tools available to support economic development efforts in OH.
• Strong oral communication skills are required to present to stakeholders & represent the School in public & private meetings.
• Strong academic & professional writing skills are required to contribute to research reports.
The position will assist the supervisor and other faculty and staff with writing grant proposals and managing projects. Experience with research and practice grounded in economic concepts and their application in a rural area is preferred.
This position is based at Ohio University’s Proctorville campus.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a grant funded position and is available immediately after the search.
Minimum Qualifications: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master’s degree in city and regional planning, or economics/agricultural economics, or public policy, or a similar field. One to two years of work experience is also required. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel as needed to fulfill job duties.
For a complete job description and to apply for the position, please visit:
For full consideration please apply by November 5, 2019.
Rural communities are prime targets for companies considering a corporate site location project. Rural areas in the U.S. cover 97 % of the nation’s land area but contain 19.3 % of the population who are more likely to own a single family home, are older and less likely to hold a bachelor’s degree or be in poverty than their urban counters.read more
American Electric Power (Nasdaq: AEP) has promoted Timothy J. Wells to vice president, Sales, Economic and Business Development, effective Nov. 2, 2020. Wells replaces Mark James who retired last month.
Wells, 55, will lead AEP’s efforts to attract new commercial and industrial customers to its service territory and help existing customers take advantage of AEP’s growing menu of business consultation services. AEP has unique expertise in the energy field and has become a trusted energy advisor to many of its larger customers. Wells will be responsible for leading growth in services that fall outside of the distribution and transmission of electricity, in addition to helping communities bring new jobs to their local economies.read more
As the economy recovers and Ohio businesses across the state work to stay open or in some cases reopen, JobsOhio’s Northwest Ohio Network Partner, the Regional Growth Partnership, hosting OHZone, a virtual career fair, on Thursday, November 5, 2020.read more