JobsOhio 2020 Annual Report Shows Success Despite Challenges
In what was a unique year for every person, business, and industry the world over, the positive results for Ohio are evidence of our state’s perseverance, ingenuity, and strength in the face of adversity. Starting with steady and bold leadership provided by the DeWine/Husted Administration and through partnerships and collaboration across the state, we collectively and successfully navigated the challenges of the pandemic, producing impressive achievements for Ohio’s economic development along the way.
Key takeaways from the JobsOhio annual report:
- We worked on 307 projects (the most in our history),
- worth $7.8 billion in capital investment,
- that resulted in 19,021 new jobs created,
- with $1 billion in new payroll.
While focusing on economic development, challenged by the Governor, JobsOhio and our network partners also quickly pivoted to help Ohio businesses and workforce make it through the pandemic. Top initiatives in 2020 included:
- Talent: We redoubled efforts to expand support for our workforce with solutions to help companies find the talent they need to thrive in Ohio.
- Sites: We invested in multiple initiatives related to job ready site and building development to increase Ohio’s potential to win projects.
- Diversity and inclusion: We focused on developing several programs that have helped make Ohio a state where anyone can thrive, particularly for underrepresented population groups and distressed areas of our state.
- Innovation: We launched a strategy in 2020 to increase Ohio’s competitiveness across the innovation continuum.
Site Selection Accolades
We’d also like to thank you for helping Ohio to win the Site Selection Governor’s Cup for most new corporate facility projects per capita than any other state for the second year in a row! Congratulations to the DeWine-Husted Administration and cities across the state. Because of your work, you’ve proven that Ohioans persevere and our state can come out on top even in difficult times.
2020 showed the world what Ohioans can do when we work together. JobsOhio is excited by what the future holds for Ohio and we are confident that the best is yet to come! We look forward to being on that journey with you.
Sometimes it only takes a simple conversation, a spark that lights the fire of collaboration and community partnerships. The simple conversations between OhioMeansJobs-Paulding County and the Paulding County Economic Development Office led to a meeting of the minds between the aforementioned pair, Vancrest of Payne, and Northwest State Community College.read more
The Ohio Department of Development (Development) announced today that the application for the new Transformational Mixed-Use Development Program is open. The program provides a tax credit for major, mixed-use developments in Ohio. Applications are now available on Development’s website.read more
Ohio’s 2022-2023 budget recently signed by Governor DeWine, allocates $500 million in new brownfield funding. Funding will be administered by the Ohio Department of Development (ODOD) which must adopt rules for allocation of brownfield funding and the demolition program. The rules will determine project eligibility and administration of the program.read more