Shared Economic Development Manager
The Shared Economic Development Manager (SEDM) will provide economic development services to the cities of Wickliffe, Willowick, and Kirtland under the direction of the Lake County Ohio Port and Economic Development Authority (LCOPEDA) and respective Mayors. The SEDM will be a highly visible professional who must have the ability to make good strategic decisions; demonstrate strong civic and community leadership; work cooperatively with individual communities and balance priorities; build relationships with municipal leadership, economic development partners, and the business community. The SEDM shall use their expertise to help define the character and trajectory of economic growth in each city by promoting the community and developing sustainable jobs matched to local employment needs and opportunities and increasing the municipal tax base. The SEDM shall support each city by fostering an attractive economic climate by welcoming new business opportunities; building on local assets, resources, heritage and innovation.
- Act as principal LCOPEDA liaison to the cities and utilize LCOPEDA resources to provide economic development services to the communities.
- Identify economic and business development opportunities within each community and develop strategies to exploit these opportunities.
- Work with other LCOPEDA staff to identify external funding opportunities such as government and private grants that will advance the economic development needs of the communities.
- Conduct business retention and expansion activity within the communities.
- Act as primary contact for business and investor inquiries and act as liaison with the local business community, industry and government agencies.
- Identify valuable commercial and industrial properties within the communities and work with LCOPEDA staff to market view these properties. Develop relationships with local commercial and industrial real estate brokers.
- Develop promotional and marketing tools and community building events to attract new businesses and new residents to the communities.
- Develop relationships with the mayors, council members and city staff in the each community.
- Work with each mayor to develop a plan of action for the community.
- Regularly attend city council meetings and other community meetings as required.
- Maintain an awareness of regional, provincial and federal economic planning programs and activities.
- Develop and maintain active contact with other business and economic development organizations, and government agencies in order to stay abreast of current programs and services and ensure that the city’s interests are served.
- Facilitate partnerships between businesses, government, financial, and education institutions and the city.
The candidate must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- Economic development theories and practices.
- Business planning and business expansion/marketing strategies.
- Financial management and analysis.
- Local and regional economic potential and opportunities.
- Building strategic partnerships and facilitating the development of collaborative relationships.
- Understanding of relevant municipal legislation, policies and procedures.
- Understanding of the local economic and political environment.
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Ability to identify and promote community economic development projects and initiatives.
- High level of proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Word, Power Point, and Excel.
- Ability to work effectively with stakeholder groups, business owners, executives, and elected officials.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills demonstrated through the ability to facilitate, network, lead, research, negotiate, analyze, and resolve issues.
- Possesses a strong sense of personal integrity and upholds ethical practices.
- Effective negotiation and mediation skills.
- Strong sales and marketing skills.
- Time management skills, including balancing the needs and time requirements of each city.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in business, economics, public administration, or a related field and/or professional certification from the International Economic Development Council or National Development Council
- Working experience in business management, finance, economic development, marketing, and/or public relations;
- Preferred 3-5 years working experience preferred, but will consider entry level
- IEDC Certified Economic Developer or CEcD candidate preferred
- Valid driver’s license in the State of Ohio
Working Conditions and Job Environment
The SEDM shall have offices jointly at the LCOPEDA office and in each city. The SEDM shall receive direction and support from LCOPEDA but will spend a minimum of one day each week at the city hall of each of the cities and will be available for one city council meeting each month for each of city. The SEDM will work two days each week at the LCOPEDA office. During time at the LCOPEDA office, the SEDM will work on economic development projects for each city and shall conduct business retention and expansion efforts in each city with the support of LCOPEDA. The SEDM will use his or her best efforts to assure that his or her time is equally divided on behalf of each city and will work only on the host city’s projects when he or she is physically located each week in that city.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to:
Mark Rantala, Executive Director
Applications accepted until the position is filled.
The I 70 / 75 Economic Development Summit on May 30 will feature Heather E. McGowan is an internationally known speaker, writer, and advisor. McGowan prepares leaders to most-effectively react to rapid and disruptive changes in education, work, and society. As a Future of Work Strategist, Heather has worked with diverse teams to address these challenges.read more
Two advisors at the Ohio Small Business Development Center (SBDC) at the Summit Medina Business Alliance Inc. have received prestigious professional certifications after undergoing training through the National Development Council.read more
Students in the course have rated the course very highly. “Some great real world examples” “this was a great course. I learned a lot, not only about course content, but real life examples too.”read more