Workforce Development Coordinator – Firelands Forward
Workforce Development Coordinator
Apply by September 29th, 2023
This dynamic full-time position supports Firelands Forward, a business-driven workforce development initiative managed by the Erie County Economic Development Corporation. Firelands Forward is strategically aligned with the Greater Sandusky Partnership, a private sector organization committed to growing the population of Erie County and the surrounding region. Firelands Forward is a collaborative effort of local businesses, education partners, and non-profits in Erie, Huron, & Ottawa Counties who seek to build a place that competitively attracts, retains, and develops talent. This position seeks to support the efforts of the Director of Firelands Forward by implementing and executing cross-sector programs of the collaborative.
Firelands Forward’s mission is to grow our region’s economy by connecting a stable, skilled, and supported labor force to meaningful and sustaining employment. This position supports the needs of the Director and the key stakeholders of the organization. Day-to-day will involve project management of programs created by and run by the organization; contribution to aligning the efforts of multiple community partners; and support the internal and external functions of the initiative, including strategy, services execution, communications, community engagement, and fundraising functions. All work is confidential and requires significant personal interaction with high level corporate and governmental leadership.
Examples of duties:
- Maintain an active knowledge of workforce development services and resources available to businesses on a local, state, and federal level;
- Create and maintain relationships in the business community through outreach and networking opportunities;
- Capture business needs through use of CRM software;
- Work with Firelands Forward team to deliver services including data analysis, job opening promotion, resource connections, and placement services;
- Act as liaison between the business community and service providers (ex. education providers, training grants, nonprofits serving employee needs) to ensure services are being marketed to businesses, and businesses have increased ease of access; and
- Actively communicate with members of partner organizations in education and social services to ensure our area can effectively solve workforce challenges.
Marketing & Communications
- Create and execute communication strategies around the progress of the Firelands Forward initiative, including:
- Maintain meaningful presence on social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.); o Utilize Constant Contact to communicate with Firelands Forward partners;
- Update Firelands Forward website with relevant content; o Contribute to organizational dashboard and reporting.
- Create and execute communication strategies around policy issues of importance to Firelands Forward’s advocacy agenda, including:
- Drafting educational pieces on issues impacting a healthy labor market; o Hosting roundtables with policy makers, local businesses, and partners;
- Integrating talking points with Firelands Forward digital platforms.
- Build relationships with community partners that can contribute to the mission of Firelands Forward;
- Recruit supporters of Firelands Forward and its current focus areas of high school career connections and front-line worker retention;
- Assist in planning, convening, and facilitating partner meetings (“Work Groups”) and Advisory Board meetings;
- Support in the oversight of the Work Wellness Coaches for the Employer Resource Network;
- Collaborate with staff and stakeholders to design and implement new projects and services in response to employer and community needs;
- Become a familiar face within the community.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree in Business, or Human Resources or related field or two to five years related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Familiarity with workforce development challenges – recruitment, hiring, and retention of qualified employees at a large scale;
- Work with limited supervision;
- Ability to work well in a team environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) with staff, employees, management, referral sources, public, etc.;
- Proficient in Microsoft WORD, EXCEL, and POWERPOINT;
- Ability to attend meetings, trainings, and professional development opportunities as required;
- Technology adept and willing to learn industry specific CRM; and
- Grant writing and fundraising experience a plus.
This is a full-time salaried position with travel requirements across our service territory, Erie, Huron, & Ottawa Counties. Must be willing and able to attend after-hours meetings and events as needed. Compensation is commensurate with experience with an expected salary of $50,000-$60,000 annually.
To Apply: Interested candidates should email a resume and cover letter to Makenna@firelandsforward.com .
All applicants will be reviewed as received until 9/29.
As part of the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) passed in 2022, a new federal program was created that provides great opportunity for Ohio – the Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund (GGRF). It allocates $27 billion in financial assistance through three programs to reduce harmful air pollutants, mobilize financing and private capital, and deliver benefits for low-income and disadvantaged communities.read more
60,000 concert goers attend inaugural 4 day Voices of America Country Music Festival in West Chester, Ohio with Alabama, JoDee Messina, Lainey Wilson, Dan +Shay, and many more!read more
The word is out Central Ohio is a wonderful place to live and work. While job opportunities are prevalent, the housing market is a challenge. The headlines are focused on new builds and further directed at greenspace and farmland depletion, zoning, density, affordability, transportation, congestion, the impact on schools, and concerns about community identity. New builds are vital, but the housing puzzle has an overlooked solution piece with abandoned and underutilized property.read more