2020 Ohio Basic Economic Development Course
In response to COVID 19 public health orders and regulations, OEDA is altering the delivery format of the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course. The on-site Ohio Basic Economic Development Course (OBEDC), originally scheduled for April 28-May 1, 2020 at the Columbus Marriott Northwest is being converted to a virtual program with an anticipated release in late Spring 2020.
Registrants need not worry about potential calendar conflicts as the program will be offered in an on-demand format to provide participants with greater flexibility during this difficult time.
Current registrations will automatically be transferred to this new format and registrants will receive additional information and updates as the new format is finalized. Registrations are still being accepted for the course. Please Note: Individuals who booked hotel rooms for the basic course need to cancel those reservations as soon as possible.
- OEDA is committed to delivering the outstanding agenda, content, instructor, and presenter quality that are hallmarks of the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course.
- The e-learning version of the OBEDC will not be available on the originally scheduled dates due to the lead time necessary to develop a high-quality electronic course.
- OEDA anticipates a late Spring/early Summer release of the e-learning version of the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course.
- The Ohio Basic Economic Development Course is an essential continuing education program and OEDA has prioritized the development of an e-learning version of the course to support its members and the economic development community during this challenging time. We understand the demands on your time during this crisis and likely for months to follow. As such, we are focused on maximum flexibility as Our plan is to offer the program on-demand with the four-day agenda broken down into user-friendly modules.
- The modules can be taken as one’s schedule permits within a reasonable timeframe. All participants will still receive a hard copy of the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course manual via postal mail prior to the course coming on-line. More information will be available in the next few weeks.
We are excited to have IceMiller as the 2020 Presenting Sponsor for the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course. Through their generous support, OEDA is able to offer this in-depth, comprehensive education program to new economic developers, community leaders, local government officials and others committed to building healthy economies for their communities and the state of Ohio.
The Ohio Basic Economic Development Course emphasizes theoretical and practical perspectives on economic development and provides participants with the skills needed to organize, plan, and implement economic growth initiatives. Those new to economic development are encouraged to take this course first as an overview of the field’s key activities. This comprehensive training course will introduce the participant to foundational elements of economic development including:
- Economic development credit analysis
- Business retention and expansion
- Real estate development and reuse
- Strategic planning
- Marketing and business attraction
- Entrepreneurial and small business development
- Neighborhood development strategies
- Technology-led economic development
- Workforce development and training
- Ethics in economic development
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
In Ohio, successful economic development efforts require local, regional, and state level execution of economic development strategies and utilization of local, state and federal programs and tools. This course was originally developed for economic development professionals but community leaders, local government officials and others committed to building healthy economies for their communities and the state of Ohio will also benefit from this program.
We are proud to announce that the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course is recognized by the International Economic Development Council (IEDC), American Planning Association (APA and AICP), and National Development Council.
The OBEDC is offered in partnership with the International Economic Development Council (IEDC). Accreditation by IEDC ensures that Ohio’s Basic Economic Development Course covers subject areas that are the core building blocks in any economic development organization.
- Completion of the Ohio Basic Economic Development Course is a requirement for earning IEDC’s Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) credential and prepares one to sit for the CEcD exam.
Completion of the Ohio Basic Economic Development course is also a requirement for earning the Ohio Certified Economic Developer (OhioCED) credential offered through the Ohio Economic Development Institute (OEDI).
- OEDI provides top-tier, Ohio-focused advanced training for professionals in the core areas of real estate, finance and incentives, retention and expansion, site selection/site development, and workforce and talent. OBEDC is a prerequisite for all of OEDI’s aforementioned core courses and most of OEDI’s elective courses and trainings. For more information about OEDI, visit https://ohioeda.com/programs/#institute.
The course fee is $700 per person. A $650 discounted fee is available for multiple attendees from the same organization. Before choosing this option, please ensure that three or more are registering. Both registration rates include all instruction, course manual and materials. Registration is required no later than April 30, 2020.
Registration is available online at https://ohioeda.com/events/. You may pay via credit card or check via this online system.
Payment must be received on or before the first day on which the course is available. Registrations are refundable, less a $50 processing fee, for cancellations made by April 30, 2020. Sorry, no refunds will be given after this date. Registrations with payment pending will be responsible for full payment if cancellation is received after April 30, 2020.
OEDA has many interesting and dynamic professional development sessions coming up soon.read more
On April 28, JobsOhio was announced as the National Organization of the Year (in our category) of the 2022 American Business Awards (ABA). Widely regarded as the world’s premier business awards program, this competition attracted more than 3,700 nominations. This recognition is further validation that the JobsOhio platform is Ohio’s competitive advantage.read more
Government agencies and prime contractors that award billions of dollars in contracts will meet in-person with small businesses in Ohio at the 2022 Ohio Business Matchmaker, the largest small business-to-government contracting event in the state.read more