Director of Economic Development and Center for Entrepreneurship – University of Rio Grande
This full-time administrative position performs a variety of administrative, technical and professional work in preparation and implementation of economic and community development plans, Center for Entrepreneurship, and related programs and services.
Reporting to the President, the position works closely with the Gallia County Community Improvement Corporation (CIC) and other community leaders and agencies in promoting the business and economic development interests in Gallia County and throughout the region, provides guidance to individuals and companies to establish, relocate, or expand their businesses within the community, provides assistance in the planning and coordination of community development projects, assists business with local and state permitting processes, and provides research for related community-sponsored projects.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- In partnership with the Gallia County Community Improvement Corporation (CIC), directs economic development initiatives to develop and advance Gallia County and the SEO region.
- Promote the Dan Evans Industrial Park, prioritizing the sale of lots, and the orderly development of projects within the park.
- Develop a strategic plan to maximize the utilization of the Dan Evans Industrial Park while also working to expand the park and increase the availability of land to attract employers.
- Provide assistance in the development of short and long term economic and community development plans, as well as the gathering of information and preparation of studies, reports, and recommendations to achieve such goals. This will involve the preparation and maintenance of information on utilities, taxes, zoning, transportation, community services, financing tools, and incentives, in order to respond to requests for information for economic development purposes, and the coordination with other departments and agencies as needed.
- Works closely with the Gallia County Chamber of Commerce to identify areas of concern in the promotion of business location and expansion within Gallia County.
- Maintains communication with various local, state and federal agencies, coordinating projects with agencies as deemed necessary and appropriate.
- Provides information and/or make presentations to supervisors, boards, commissions, civic groups, businesses, individuals, and the general public on economic development issues, programs, services, and plans.
- Become familiar with the existing inventory of available land, buildings and business and residential development sites within the community. This will include both public and private building and land areas.
- Identify large tracks of flat land and utility overlay for development (not in flood plain).
- Partner with site selection and legal teams to negotiate economic development agreements with various state and local governments and economic development agencies.
- Assist in developing a Center for Entrepreneurship at the University of Rio Grande.
- Coordinate and facilitate events across our region which expand the opportunities available for entrepreneurs to begin, sustain and expand their businesses.
- Build and maintain close professional relationships with small businesses served.
- Identify new market opportunities, increasing knowledge of and active participation in programs and other federal, state, and regional needs, partnerships, and prospects.
- Develop new services based on demonstrated client need.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field.
- Three (3) or more years of industry and management experience including state and local taxes and economic incentives.
- Considerable knowledge of business development, community, and economic development.
- Working knowledge of zoning and infrastructure, planning programs and processes.
- Proven experience in developing and maintaining strong working relationships with a broad cross-section of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated evidence of high-level strategic thinking and planning.
- Solid organizational abilities, including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Demonstrated financial analysis and project management experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with entrepreneurial and/or business experience
- Reports directly to the President.
Apply for this Position
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
Ohio’s Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) program is the major state program that enables collaboration among municipalities and townships to encourage investment and job creation. Over the past few years, the JEDD program has undergone a number of significant changes that impact on its practical use.read more
I first met Dan in the fall of 2016. I had moved to Central Ohio over the late holiday season in 2015 to begin serving as the new Director of GROW Licking County CIC, Dan’s former role. I was immediately struck by many in the community who worried that I would “not be enough,” that the “shoes were too big,” and that “Dan was larger than life.” And they were right.read more
The Ohio Economic Development Association’s annual Excellence Awards program recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations in Ohio in the areas of economic and workforce development. Submit your nominations today and have excellence in your community recognized statewide!
A panel of judges will evaluate the nominations, determine finalists, and select a winner for each of the categories noted below. Award winners will be announced in conjunction with the 2022 OEDA Annual Summit, being held October 3-6 at the Exchange at Bridge Park in Dublin, Ohio.read more