Project Specialist – Athens County Economic Development Council
Athens County Economic Development Council
Project Specialist Job Description
Reports to: Executive Director
Work schedule: Full-time, typically 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. with adjustments made for early morning, evening, and weekend events, and as needed to accomplish stated functions. *(1x per month 7:30am meetings required)
*This list is not all-inclusive. Position requires dedication, adaptability, and commitment to organization above all else.
Marketing & Attraction
• Promote positive image of ACEDC (Shared)
• Maintain Zoom Prospector database; update site/building information and attend trainings (Shared)
• Oversee marketing for ACEDC and manage relationship with consultants
• Lead social media presence and keep website current and professional
• Assist with creation of annual reports and presentations
• Handle requests for economic/workforce data and reports (Shared)
• Help identify trade shows and attraction events
Young Athens Professionals
• Co-organize monthly YAP happy hours w/ Athens Area Chamber of Commerce
• Coordinate social media presence; update blog and website
• Foster community and business relationships
• Oversee YAP email & general communications
• Create YAP marketing materials
Business Retention & Expansion
• Update JobsOhio BRE portal submissions
• Schedule company BRE visits (Shared)
• Attend BRE software program trainings
• Attend BRE visits when director is unable
Revolving Loan Fund & Grant Administration
• Keep RLF marketing materials current
• Distribute/review application materials
• Coordinate communication with partners (Underwriter, State of Ohio, private lender, loan/grant review committee, commissioners, etc.)
• Preparation of quarterly, semi-annual and other required reporting documents (Shared)
• Respond to client needs and requests; assist with application process (Shared)
• Assisting Executive Director with grant/RLF compliance and reporting (Shared)
• Update monthly ACEDC Activities Report (Shared)
• Support administrative assistant with accounts payable/receivable
• Copy & scanning
• Check mail in administrative assistance’s absence
• Schedule meetings using Doodle surveys/polls
• Run necessary errands (must have reliable transportation)
• Prepare/distribute EDC and Port Authority meeting materials and recording minutes
• Coordinate bi-monthly Entrepreneurial Development Group meetings
• Manage EDC software and subscriptions including JobsEQ, Basecamp, Canva, etc.
• Organize events including scheduling, booking rooms/locations, securing speakers, and understanding IT/tech needs.
• Complete required Sunshine Law Trainings; handle public records requests (Shared)
• Comfortable answering multiple phone lines, call forwarding, etc.
Requirements of the job:
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to develop positive and beneficial relationships.
• Strong sense of urgency.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to take initiative on projects with or without guidance.
• Knowledge of business principles, especially small business.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Organization and follow-up skills.
• Self-motivation and ability to work well with little supervision.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
• Proficient in computer programs including: Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, Word Press and Social media networks (Facebook, Twitter, etc.); understanding of marketing/business management systems.
• Work in a small business
• Customer service
• Work in non-profit organizations preferred
• College degree required
• Familiar with Athens community and surrounding region
• Basic economic development principles (preferred)
• Some travel required and applicant must have own transportation
• Position may require occasional early morning or evening meetings
Wage: This is a salaried position, the wage for which is negotiated and agreed upon at the time of hire. Salary commensurate with experience and education. Periodic pay increases may be given as deemed appropriate and affordable by the Executive Director and the budgeting process. Merit increases may be given as the result of positive performance evaluations and cost-of-living increases may be given after each full year of employment.
Benefits: The ACEDC offers employees paid vacation, sick leave and personal time, as well as a generous retirement plan and a health care savings account for eligible employees. All benefits begin after 90-day probation unless stated otherwise.
For full consideration, send resume or professional CV, cover letter and three professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “ACEDC Project Specialist Application” by Friday, January 14th at 3pm.
Ohio’s Joint Economic Development District (JEDD) program is the major state program that enables collaboration among municipalities and townships to encourage investment and job creation. Over the past few years, the JEDD program has undergone a number of significant changes that impact on its practical use.read more
I first met Dan in the fall of 2016. I had moved to Central Ohio over the late holiday season in 2015 to begin serving as the new Director of GROW Licking County CIC, Dan’s former role. I was immediately struck by many in the community who worried that I would “not be enough,” that the “shoes were too big,” and that “Dan was larger than life.” And they were right.read more
The Ohio Economic Development Association’s annual Excellence Awards program recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations in Ohio in the areas of economic and workforce development. Submit your nominations today and have excellence in your community recognized statewide!
A panel of judges will evaluate the nominations, determine finalists, and select a winner for each of the categories noted below. Award winners will be announced in conjunction with the 2022 OEDA Annual Summit, being held October 3-6 at the Exchange at Bridge Park in Dublin, Ohio.read more